The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 12:39 PM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing a mouse pattern, what sort of leader?

I fish at night with mouse flies all the time & I just use a few feet of butt section as my leader. I'm going to give a mouse a try next trip fishing during the day, and I figured I should get a bit more stealthy & wanted to know what you all use for leaders in the day hours? I was thinking that a butt section with a couple sections tied on with a 12lb section ending, similar to my King Salmon leader rigs. That should be tough enough to turn a pretty big brown & keep him out of the wood, no?

Any formulas would be great...
Old 05-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing a mouse pattern, what sort of leader?

Keven: I fish streamers pretty much as you describe with maybe a 4-6 foot piece of stout mono on the end of the fly line. Whatever setup you settle on, it should turn the mouse pattern over nicely, a little playing around with a few different pieces of mono and you should have it figured out quick enough. I've never really tried a mouse pattern during the day, but I'm thinking that unless you live in Alaska that is a better night pattern than a day pattern but I could be wrong. I was reading Bob Wyatt's book "What Trout Want" and he has been living in New Zealand for a number of years and even there he uses mouse patterns during the dawn/dusk portions of the day. Best of luck and if you hook up with a big one be sure to share a photo with the rest of us, but either way keep us posted on your results. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Old 05-20-2013, 04:27 PM

Thanks Larry. I'm going to give it a try. It can't hurt, as I'm not catching any large trout during the day in the summer months any how. Might just land one with this attack. We'll likely do a 8 hour float down our favorite run & do some Hex fishing & mousing during both day and night parts of the float.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When I fish saltwater poppers I either use 6' of straight 16-20# test mono or an 8' leader of 60" 40# mono, 20" 25# mono, and 20" of 16# mono (60/20/20%)
(... the straight 6' leader is far easier. )
That 60/20/20 formula is good most all of the time except in high winds when I'll go to a leader with a heaver butt of 70/10/20%
Maybe not exactly what you're asking, but something to think about
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin: Since you are floating you might consider adjusting the hours, either be on the water just as it is getting light and then pound the banks with the mouse pattern until the sun hits the water, or set off later in the day so you time it so you are fishing at dusk and then pound the banks with the mouse. This is a little tricky since you want to be able to see the takeout before it gets pitch black. That reminds me of my son's brother-in-law, he did a float on the Colorado River south of Glenwood Springs a few years ago with a friend who guides on that section. They put onto the river in the late afternoon, hit a really strong caddis hatch and had a blast, but they didn't make the takeout until it was pitch black out, but in that case the guide knew the river really well and they had spot lights to help guide them down the last mile or so and the takeout was at a bridge so that made it easier to spot.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:23 AM

My plan is to do some mousing in broad day light, afternoon. I've never done it, but I've seen guys catch trout on mouse patterns on youtube during the day. So, why not try.

Then I hope to catch a Hex spinner fall in the early evening & finally IF the Hex don't appear for us, I'll mouse the early evening & into the black of night. I fish the mouse at night on this section all the time, so I know just what to do for that part of the night. It is dark for sure, but that is what makes it fun. The take out is at a "Z" in the river & there is no way I can miss it. It is also the very best run in the river I think for mousing at night, a dark moonless night I'm planning on for our trip.

As for the leader, I'm thinking a 2 section attack. I nice butt section of 36", and then a 12lb tippet section of a couple feet. That way, if I get hung up in the wood, I'll be able to break off the mouse at the junction. HOPE that works! I'm going to rig this tomorrow and see how it casts in the yard with my biggest mouse pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Kevin: Since you are floating you might consider adjusting the hours, either be on the water just as it is getting light and then pound the banks with the mouse pattern until the sun hits the water, or set off later in the day so you time it so you are fishing at dusk and then pound the banks with the mouse. This is a little tricky since you want to be able to see the takeout before it gets pitch black. That reminds me of my son's brother-in-law, he did a float on the Colorado River south of Glenwood Springs a few years ago with a friend who guides on that section. They put onto the river in the late afternoon, hit a really strong caddis hatch and had a blast, but they didn't make the takeout until it was pitch black out, but in that case the guide knew the river really well and they had spot lights to help guide them down the last mile or so and the takeout was at a bridge so that made it easier to spot.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:27 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I fish mouse flies in the day, they work great. The best time I have found is towards the end of the day, as the sun just begins to go down. Obviously this depends where you are and what time of year but generally around 6-7PM.

For leaders, all you really need is something heavy to turn the fly over. Doesn't have to be long and doesn't have to be tapered. Just has to deal with all that fluff and foam.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Kevin: Definitely sounds like a fun float, just be careful out there and keep us posted on your mousing during the day goes.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:23 PM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney and ditz like this.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbum2020 View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
Very cool photo! Looks like mouse patterns would work in your area.