The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 06:15 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about
Default My polypropylene yarn don't float !!

Bought some of the Bonnie Craft Cord that is polypro. 6mm just like everyone says to get. Got my orings hemostats yarn scissors craft cord, all check. I make a strike indicator take it to the sink and it sunk like a rock. I thought this polypropylene was supposed to float? So what gives? I didn't think floatant was needed? Comments observations please.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My polypropylene yarn don't float !!

No clue, but this is one of a kind post ups. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If I really wanted a yarn type indicator I would use that Glo Bug stuff they sell for egg imitations. I remember trying glo eggs back in the early 90's and my first observation was that the 'egg' would not sink unless you attached a bunch of lead also. Worth a try......comes in lots of colors too.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 AM

May have to try that, but now I have 150 yards of sinking yarn, lol, guess I'll have to treat it.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:13 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Been tying and fishing yarn indicators since the late eighties and have never used one without first, lightly dressing them with paste floatant and then preening it out. Normally it only needs to be dressed once, but it may need to be preened back out a couple of times a day.

Best, TT
Old 05-21-2013, 08:25 AM

powderfinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbow68 View Post
Bought some of the Bonnie Craft Cord that is polypro. 6mm just like everyone says to get. Got my orings hemostats yarn scissors craft cord, all check. I make a strike indicator take it to the sink and it sunk like a rock. I thought this polypropylene was supposed to float? So what gives? I didn't think floatant was needed? Comments observations please.
soak it in silicone. let it dry on a paper towel.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:10 AM

double dry is on a distinguished road

Yup, got to dress it, brush it, and trim it. Easy to customize and should float all day. I have a video on you tube that shows how.

Duane Redford
Old 05-21-2013, 05:20 PM

I've watched just about every YouTube video I could find so I have probably watched yours double dry. Oh well no biggie I have enough floatant for a lot of them. Got 400 orings in today I'm gonna make a bunch up and give them away to friends, probably strangers too, when I'm on the river.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:12 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I got a big honkin skein of the Bonny Macrame Cord 6mm from Joanns this past year and have not had any issues. It does float better when teased out and rubbed with a bit of Gink or Green Mucilin.
Now I prefer nymphing without an indicator.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Click the image to open in full size.

never sinks