The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By busbus
  • 1 Post By innes
  • 2 Post By CutThroat Leaders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default I didn't know he could do that!

Well, after the last thread about me liking to fish alone, I brought my 21-year-old son fishing tonight. He said he would like to try to fish again. He was having a bad, bad day and he agreed he may as well go.

To give you a little insight, he has not fished since he was very young, like 8 or 9. He hooked a little bluegill about as big as HIS little hand, excluding fingers. It somehow sucked down an entire worm on a #6 hook and it ended up protruding out of its eye. Of course, it was dead, especially when an 8- or 9-year-old was trying to pry the hook out.

Well, that experience just crushed him for some reason. He refused to ever go again. (Well, lie, he did fish once with a friend in Erie for a couple hours and caught a fish but he was sort of forced to go and didn't have a great time.)

I was surprised when he wanted to go tonight but he needed to talk. Pretty neat having an adult talk with your son. He was amazed as I put together my fly rod but soon got bored and went off with his spinning gear and stated to fish. He darn near caught one on his first cast but was skunked the next 40 minutes or so. Meanwhile, I was catching bluegill all over the place on the fly rod, and some descent sized ones for where we were fishing.

I noticed he was having a rough time with the spinning rod. I tried to help him out a few times but he wasn't in the mood for unsolicited advice, so I backed off. He is not overly coordinated and a lot of his casts hit the water about 15-feet from him splashing water all over the place. His retrieve was horrible but he never fished before!

It was just about dark and he said he was ready to go but he wanted to try my fly rod. All I can really do is roll cast and and I showed him. I gave him the rod and backed way off because I had no clue where that hook was going.

He loaded up his first cast...I hold my breath...force my eyes to stay open...hoping the hook won't find his neck and/or the line won't end up in a ball...then it happened...a near flipping perfect cast!!!

I told him a lot of people would pay to have a cast like that--even me--especially for his first cast. I told him to do it again...and again...and again... They were all very good casts. He is no pro, obviously, and he needs to learn how to hold his hand since he has his thumb over his fingers like a fist, but, hey!!!

I had his cast and slowly retrieve and cast again. I made him do this until he caught a fish. He couldn't set the hook on four of them but the fifth one was a charm! It was a crappie, but a good sized one! Fought real nice and his fin was sharp as a bunch of pins.

Wow. I didn't know he could do that and neither did he. I saw some cheap, old fiberglass 6-wt rods on Craig's List recently. I have a junkie 6-wt reel with junkie line on it but it works. I may have to get him that rod. He did a fine job.

And after he saw he did well AND he caught a fish, his mood was 180-degrees different on the way home. I may have him hooked!!!

ray
mcnerney, vanceinak and mbchilton like this.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I didn't know he could do that!

My son used to get bored fishing but now that I'm gone most of the time he wants to go fishing again. I think boys grow up and sooner or later realize it's important to go fishing with dad.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

Great Story,

Living here in Idaho I know many young guys that fished while young kids and then took a long break.... middle school, high school, college. Then they realize that fishing is more than simply catching fish. My little guy is only 7 yrs now, we have a made a promise to each to fish on at least one long weekend trip every year until I can no longer get to the river. I had to promise to pay for his trip until he is age 25... after that, he pays for mine. Only 18 yrs until my boy will be bringing me fishing. I am by no means rushing this as our time on the water now is awesome. He does not care about the size of the fish or even if he catches, just being on the water is enough. I am a lucky fly fishing Dad. One recommendation to fly fishing dads that want to get their kids involved, try Tenkara….. It is easy for kids and they do not get nearly as frustrated. Also, the gear is relatively cheap.
mcnerney and busbus like this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 05-21-2013, 01:36 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

Great stuff!!!

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."