The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By theboz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 01:34 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Spinner reel kicked my butt

So, I went fishing with the girlfriend last weekend by the lake. So I brought my old spinner rod and reel with me.

I don't know if I've just been fly fishing too much or what but I could not get that thing to cooperate with me. Every time I lifted the bail to cast a bunch of line would fall off the reel. I had the line pinched between my rod and finger, I had the bail retrieval thing set up near the rod, I did everything I did as a kid but could not control that stupid line!!

The few times I did get a decent cast it didn't go any further than if I'd been using my fly rod. So I switched over to my fly rod and just fished with buggers and muddlers.

What the heck? Have I lost my touch?

I'm not really looking for answers, I just thought it was funny that I've become completely incompetent with a simple spinner reel.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:51 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spinner reel kicked my butt

Sounds like the first time I used a bait casting reel Haven't touched my spinning reel in a couple years, wonder how I'd do...
Old 05-21-2013, 01:59 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

sounds like line memory...gotta stretch that stuff out. A long cast that lands on a snag is an easy method to stretch a bunch of line
Old 05-21-2013, 02:06 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

You know I bet it was a line memory issue. I hadn't thought of that. Next time I'll stretch it out first.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:20 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like line memory. Get new line or you'll be stretching for a week ! You probably would have done better with your flyrod as opposed to spinning anyway!
bassguitarplayer likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-22-2013, 06:33 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Possibly too much line on the spool combined with the line memory?