The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 11:07 AM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: GoPro or Point & Shoot

Gopros are good for first person point of view shots but in my opinion lack at everything else. If I had to choose, I would definitely keep my AW100 over the gopro. In fact, we are picking up a second AW100 so it is easier to get pictures of each other while fishing. I am very impressed with the AW100.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 PM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by almonde View Post
I have the Panasonic TS-4 tough point and shoot. Its waterproof to 12m and has GPS, barometric altimeter and compass. Means all your photos are tagged with location and direction. Its pretty cool.

Also, its takes perfectly decent photos above and under the water. The video is good too (1080p)
I just got the new TS-5 and couldn't be more happy with it. Thing is rugged, small, and has every bell and whistle available on the market. Best thing I have noticed is the optical stabilization. It has worked well for me and keeps my pics from being blurry when I'm trying to balance a rod, net, fish, and camera all at the same time.

I'll post some sample pics once I get a chance to sit down at my desk at home.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:05 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I will backup the Panasonic fans, I have a TS3 and its great. The video is alittle tight and can be tricky for shooting first person but the photos its takes are excellent.

Plus some friends of mine had a gopro strapped on the front of their car for a rally they were in, it was supposed to record over 2 hours of video and it took about 90 seconds and just refused to record.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-22-2013, 12:17 PM

swhite1989 is on a distinguished road

I have an early model GoPro, and I think that its perfect for fishing situations, definitely if you are by yourself, and it takes a pretty good picture too. Nothing that Photoshop cant enhance. They have extended battery kits for the GoPro as well. I have used mine for in car mounts as well, and shooting/hunting. It is a very versatile camera. My only complaint is that you view things unless you have some sort of media device, but that comes with the territory of the camera being so mobile.

I dont have a Point & Shoot, so no comment on those.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:54 PM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice

I got lucky and won a Panasonic TS-25 last Thursday at a conference. I'll know more about its capabilities when we go out this weekend, but stuff around the house looks good. We also have a Lumix with a Leica lens and love it. I think Panasonic's doing real good stuff lately...

Bob
Old 05-22-2013, 06:11 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2. It has never failed me. The more recent models continue to be top rated. The German Leica lens is amazing. Leica makes some of the best camera lenses in the world.

See this ranking of lens manufacturers.

Which Company Makes the Best Camera Lenses?

2013 Winner Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4

Waterproof Camera Review 2013 | Best Waterproof Digital Cameras | Compare Underwater Cameras - TopTenREVIEWS

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 2013 - TopTenREVIEWS

2011 Review Winner Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3

Group test: Waterproof Compact Cameras: Digital Photography Review

2009 Review Winner PPanasonic Lumix DMC-TS1

'Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009): Digital Photography Review

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the help guys. I managed to snatch a NIB Nikon AW110 for well below retail (probably even below wholesale) on the auction site. Hopefully it will be here before the 29th so I have it in time for a trip with Larry. I will report back with how it performs.

Thanks,
Chase
Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I see a lot of people liking the panasonic ts-3, ts-4, ts-5, what i DON'T see panasonic doing is improving on the fstop of the lens. LEICA lens...great but that doesn't mean it's a LEICA camera....

I dont care what other bells and whistles you have (great LED flash, GPS, altimeter, barometer, megapixels whatever....) if you don't have a fast lens meaning a LOW fstop you won't get good photos in poor light.

In my experience some of the best fishing is done on cloudy days that means less light that means you need a faster lens. Fast lens means NO flash will kick on...since it doesn't need the extra light to compute a good exposure...flash pics can look horrible.

For $400 (the ts-5) you can get the olympus tough tg-2...it has an f2.0 vs that slower f3.3 lens. And it has all the other bells and whistles. And an awesome macro lens and built in 'fisheye' effect with a few other things to boot. And with the f2.0 lens you even get a little bokeh in the pictures (bokeh means the out of focus background shots you see in shallow depth of field shots)

Samples:

Shots of the CF Burkheimer and Saracione reel..indoors, NO flash needed because of the f2.0 setting...this was on the macro setting:
Click the image to open in full size.

Same rod shot outside...

I'm showing this shot to alert you to one annoyance with waterproof cameras...wipe off the lens before shooting:

Excuse the color effects on this one, just wanted to show the zoom and bokeh

An underwater shot taken from about a foot away:

Another macro shot of a nymph:

Macros of bow:

Still from underwater release of brookie

Macro of mayflies..

Still taken from a video with some color added:

Yes, I do some post editing, but my point is if you can't get the shot because:

a) your camera takes forever to start[/B] (point and shoots will always be slower than DSLR on startup, cycling, shutter speed, but some are catching up)...the Olympus starts up in about 3 seconds or less from OFF vs standby mode).

b) the camera has a slow lens so your flash has to cut on (yuck) or if you force the shutter off and there is not a lot of light you get camera shake (double yuck)

No shot, no post editing, no nothing.

I noticed that the review noted above did NOT list aperture. The HIGH ISO of some of those top rated cameras is NEEDED if you have a slower f-stop. Case in point. When you have low light the camera will automatically dial up the ISO to compensate to get a good exposure...but what you end with up is a grainy photo. That's just been my experience when I decided to get my Canon 7D. It has a good ISO with little grain, but all of my lenses are f2.8, one goes to f1.4. I dumped all of my f3x and f4x lenses..although the canon f4.5-5.6 L series 100-400mm was a fantastic, comparatively slow lens in the L series. Should have never sold that lens.

I'll post some video next and some 'cons' about the camera...there are a few.
Sep and logdog like this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com

Last edited by shotgunfly; 05-22-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:49 AM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

I've been using a Pentax W60 for 5 years. Great camera.

One word of warning on GPS enabled cameras. If you tag the photos and want to share them on the web, strip the tags first. Otherwise you are broadcasting exactly where you took the shot and you might not want that.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I have the tough and the gopro. Love them both.

If I was going to just get one I would definitely just have the tough.

I use the gopro for underwater and hence I had to change the lens. Their curved lens is horrible for underwater.