The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 10:08 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: GoPro or Point & Shoot

I put this together last night. Mostly underwater stuff. View it in HD so you can see what the camera is capable of shooting (1080p).

You may have to go to Vimeo to see it in HD. It's public so you won't have to sign up or anything to view it.

Enjoy!

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-23-2013, 02:33 PM

zum will become famous soon enough

I used a stylus tough,10 mega pixel for acouple years,thought it was fine.
2 Christmas' ago the wife bought me a GoPro Hero2,took some getting used to.It does go through batteries alittle quick but you can buy aftermarket ones that work just as well...and are cheaper.
I don't take to many pictures with it and perhaps I should.I still bring alone the P&S for that.
I video a lot...put the camera/GoPro on my hat and wherever I look it looks.
If you take a 1/4"(I think) bolt and put it through your hat,the tripod connection will screw right to it;for the P&S.The GoPro,I stuck one of those attachments to my bill and it has held for a year an a half.
For me it's still a toss up,if my wife didn't buy me the GoPro,I still be happy using the P&S camera.(and theres' probably better ones than what I was using)
Old 05-23-2013, 03:16 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Shotgunfly, that really was some great underwater footage you got. I was considering the TG2 in addition to the AW110. I went with the Nikon simply because I got a great deal on it.
-Chase
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
For $400 (the ts-5) you can get the olympus tough tg-2...it has an f2.0 vs that slower f3.3 lens. And it has all the other bells and whistles. And an awesome macro lens and built in 'fisheye' effect with a few other things to boot.
Great observations on the TG-2. The faster lens makes all the difference and with the image stabilization it handles low light quite well. A good example from this past weekend:

Click the image to open in full size.

You mention the built in 'fisheye' effect. Was that added with the TG-2? I don't know that I have such an effect in my TG-1. Update: Never mind. Found it! Thanks for sending me looking!

Mike
shotgunfly likes this.

Last edited by Sep; 05-24-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:21 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
I'm showing this shot to alert you to one annoyance with waterproof cameras...wipe off the lens before shooting:
Happens to them all...

Stupid water :P
shotgunfly and rchouser12 like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-24-2013, 01:26 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Happens to them all... Stupid water :P
An EXCELLENT tip! It's bitten me more than once. THANKS!

Mike
Old 05-24-2013, 09:41 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

I always carry a waterproof point and shoot, which makes the point and shoot the camera of choice for me because I can always carry it. Fits in a shirt pocket, battery charges last a long time, and one-handed operation is simple. I don't want a camera that is less easy to carry. I have lots of high end camera gear for when I need to take great landscape and wildlife photos to use as reference for my paintings, but they seldom come along on a quick fishing trip...the point and shoot always does. In fact, I have a three point pockets checklist whenever I leave the house for any kind of fishing trip. Besides all my fishing tackle, I stop and think, "sunglasses in shirt pocket, check. Cell phone in hip pocket, check. Point and shoot in other shirt pocket, check." I doubt that I'd carry the Gopro that routinely.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:11 AM

rchouser12 is on a distinguished road

GoPro!!! I have one and use it all the time. More than I expected! Granted I also snowboard and mountain bike. I have been toying with the idea of putting ot on a rod. Casting would look cool but, if you mount it to the butt of a rod when you hook a fish it would be getting nice shots of the sun... Although, I use a $90 Kodak EasyShare for all my macro shots of flies. I have a Nikon DSLR and decided to forgo a $250 macro lens because my 'lil camera is so good. You will look stupid but a GoPro on your head while fishing does turn out cool! Done it! (Granted I'm 22 and I still want stuff on the TV like a 5 year old. Only now my toys are $300+)

---------- Post added at 06:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 AM ----------

You have a nice set up there stl geoff
Old 05-25-2013, 08:08 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Smile Re: GoPro or Point & Shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sep View Post
great observations on the tg-2. The faster lens makes all the difference and with the image stabilization it handles low light quite well. A good example from this past weekend:

you mention the built in 'fisheye' effect. Was that added with the tg-2? I don't know that i have such an effect in my tg-1. update: never mind. Found it! Thanks for sending me looking!

mike
beautiful shot!

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com