The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   GoPro or Point & Shoot (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/320087-gopro-point-shoot.html)

chased 05-22-2013 01:56 AM

GoPro or Point & Shoot

I'm on the brink of purchasing either a GoPro or a waterproof point and shoot camera like the Nikon AW100 or Olympus TG-1. The problem is that I can't make up my mind. The purpose of both cameras will be to capture my fly fishing adventures, as well as other out door related stuff in general.

The GoPro Hero 3 Black edition's reviews are hit and miss. Lots of people seem to be having major malfunctions. I don't know if this is a defect or user error. It seems that 90 minutes of recording is about all I can expect off a fully charged battery, which doesn't seem like much. These are the main reasons I haven't dove in to a GoPro yet. I really like the fact that it takes great video and that there are chest and head mounting options. Can a GoPro take still shots like a point and shoot camera?

I really like the idea of taking video of my adventures, but I'm not sure that a waterproof point and shoot is up to the task. These cameras do have the ability to do 1080p video, will videos be shaky without a mount? Pictures are great and all, but video seems a lot more fun. It seems as if there aren't a lot of mounting options for these cameras.

What would you get to capture your fly fishing adventures, a GoPro or a waterproof Point & Shoot?

-Chase

Hardyreels 05-22-2013 02:15 AM

Re: GoPro or Point & Shoot

Hi Chase,

Point & shoot, keep it simple................

Ard

MoscaPescador 05-22-2013 02:26 AM

I would get a GoPro if I was doing POV type image and movies. Otherwise, I would get a high quality point and shoot.

As for point and shoots, also consider some of the Pentax Optio W Series cameras.

Dennis

almonde 05-22-2013 02:55 AM

I have the Panasonic TS-4 tough point and shoot. Its waterproof to 12m and has GPS, barometric altimeter and compass. Means all your photos are tagged with location and direction. Its pretty cool.

Also, its takes perfectly decent photos above and under the water. The video is good too (1080p)

baseman1 05-22-2013 05:12 AM

My wife got me a GoPro 2 last week and I love it. It doesn't get much simpler. I heard there was a learning curve with them but I didn't find that myself.

kevin2 05-22-2013 06:38 AM

I've got both. The GoPro has large limitations. The outer shell is a pain. Sound is pretty flimsy at best above & below water. It is tough. The waterproof camera is a regular camera THAT is waterproof & easier to use, simple as that. I like my waterproof camera better IF I was to only have one of the 2.

gfirob 05-22-2013 07:08 AM

I agree with Ard. We use Gopros on some of the work we do and they really are limited compared to any good point and shoot. If most of what you are going to do is shoot still photographs, then you should focus on that function and get the best camera you can for that. Most of them shoot pretty good video too and they are all very easy to set up and use.
Rob

Sep 05-22-2013 07:22 AM

Big fan of the TG-1, here. Most of the photos on my blog (and all of the outdoors/fishing ones) are from it. TG-2 out now, I think, with minor tweaks to the original.

I just can't get myself excited about video. A single stunning image does a lot more for me than five minutes of video. I guess I'm just old school. Or just old.

Mike

mibuwulf 05-22-2013 10:16 AM

I would go with the point and shoot unless you are trying to get into HD videos.

My brother and I do a lot of videos and we use a Canon 60D and 5D MII that can do both pictures and videos VERY well, but it's very specialized gear.

Here are some points to consider (in completely random order)

-Sound will be terrible on either option unless you get all into the mics and such, but that's another story.
-POV shots and videos will require a special mount in either case.
-Number of applications for either devices; will you grab the gopro for a quick pic or the point and shoot?
-point and shoots typically have a view screen and can review and delete on the spot.
-battery life and replacement/spares.

Just some things to consider. Given your two options, my suggestion would be the Nikon or Olympus.

runningfish 05-22-2013 11:05 AM

I go with Point and Shoot too.
I have Sony DSC series which I bought more than 3 years ago for kayaking, fishing, and family trip and still doing very well. Good pictures with 1080p HD video format. The camera is waterproof, dust proof and child proof (so far). The winning feature of the GoPro is just the mounting.
I bought a small magnetic Gorilla Pod and have the flexibility to mount the Sony on any surfaces.

All these point and shoot cameras are waterproof but they are no Michael Phelps. So get some kind of cheap flotation device to keep them from sinking into the abyss or to your toes.