The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 01:56 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default GoPro or Point & Shoot

I'm on the brink of purchasing either a GoPro or a waterproof point and shoot camera like the Nikon AW100 or Olympus TG-1. The problem is that I can't make up my mind. The purpose of both cameras will be to capture my fly fishing adventures, as well as other out door related stuff in general.

The GoPro Hero 3 Black edition's reviews are hit and miss. Lots of people seem to be having major malfunctions. I don't know if this is a defect or user error. It seems that 90 minutes of recording is about all I can expect off a fully charged battery, which doesn't seem like much. These are the main reasons I haven't dove in to a GoPro yet. I really like the fact that it takes great video and that there are chest and head mounting options. Can a GoPro take still shots like a point and shoot camera?

I really like the idea of taking video of my adventures, but I'm not sure that a waterproof point and shoot is up to the task. These cameras do have the ability to do 1080p video, will videos be shaky without a mount? Pictures are great and all, but video seems a lot more fun. It seems as if there aren't a lot of mounting options for these cameras.

What would you get to capture your fly fishing adventures, a GoPro or a waterproof Point & Shoot?

-Chase
Old 05-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: GoPro or Point & Shoot

Hi Chase,

Point & shoot, keep it simple................

Ard
waterfordcreek likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-22-2013, 02:26 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I would get a GoPro if I was doing POV type image and movies. Otherwise, I would get a high quality point and shoot.

As for point and shoots, also consider some of the Pentax Optio W Series cameras.

Dennis
Old 05-22-2013, 02:55 AM

almonde will become famous soon enoughalmonde will become famous soon enough

I have the Panasonic TS-4 tough point and shoot. Its waterproof to 12m and has GPS, barometric altimeter and compass. Means all your photos are tagged with location and direction. Its pretty cool.

Also, its takes perfectly decent photos above and under the water. The video is good too (1080p)
Old 05-22-2013, 05:12 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

My wife got me a GoPro 2 last week and I love it. It doesn't get much simpler. I heard there was a learning curve with them but I didn't find that myself.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:38 AM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road

I've got both. The GoPro has large limitations. The outer shell is a pain. Sound is pretty flimsy at best above & below water. It is tough. The waterproof camera is a regular camera THAT is waterproof & easier to use, simple as that. I like my waterproof camera better IF I was to only have one of the 2.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:08 AM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough

I agree with Ard. We use Gopros on some of the work we do and they really are limited compared to any good point and shoot. If most of what you are going to do is shoot still photographs, then you should focus on that function and get the best camera you can for that. Most of them shoot pretty good video too and they are all very easy to set up and use.
Rob
Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Big fan of the TG-1, here. Most of the photos on my blog (and all of the outdoors/fishing ones) are from it. TG-2 out now, I think, with minor tweaks to the original.

I just can't get myself excited about video. A single stunning image does a lot more for me than five minutes of video. I guess I'm just old school. Or just old.

Mike
Old 05-22-2013, 10:16 AM

mibuwulf will become famous soon enough

I would go with the point and shoot unless you are trying to get into HD videos.

My brother and I do a lot of videos and we use a Canon 60D and 5D MII that can do both pictures and videos VERY well, but it's very specialized gear.

Here are some points to consider (in completely random order)

-Sound will be terrible on either option unless you get all into the mics and such, but that's another story.
-POV shots and videos will require a special mount in either case.
-Number of applications for either devices; will you grab the gopro for a quick pic or the point and shoot?
-point and shoots typically have a view screen and can review and delete on the spot.
-battery life and replacement/spares.

Just some things to consider. Given your two options, my suggestion would be the Nikon or Olympus.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:05 AM

runningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nice

I go with Point and Shoot too.
I have Sony DSC series which I bought more than 3 years ago for kayaking, fishing, and family trip and still doing very well. Good pictures with 1080p HD video format. The camera is waterproof, dust proof and child proof (so far). The winning feature of the GoPro is just the mounting.
I bought a small magnetic Gorilla Pod and have the flexibility to mount the Sony on any surfaces.

All these point and shoot cameras are waterproof but they are no Michael Phelps. So get some kind of cheap flotation device to keep them from sinking into the abyss or to your toes.