The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 12 Post By 1move
  • 4 Post By 1move

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 02:14 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about
Default First fish ever in North America!

Originally I am from Europe and used to fish when I was a little kid and catch fish in the Adriatic sea. I moved to N.A. when I was 13 and tried fishing several times and made a point to get out there no matter what. I have not caught a fish since I was 13, I am turning 29 on the 26th of May so you can imagine how long that has been.

One day I was out on a local river fishing with my spin reel setup and there we quite a few of us and nobody caught a fish, a guy showed up with his fly fishing gear and within the first 3 casts he had a fish on. I packed up my stuff and watched him fish for an hour and got inspired. Every 3-4 cast this guy had a fish (maybe it was more like 10 casts but at the time it was too cool to keep count). Ever since that day I swore I would get into fly fishing. Started dating this nice girl and we were both into fishing so she mentioned lets go fishing one day and I agreed and looked into fly fishing. As I got more interested so did she, and we were fortunate enough to have money to buy us some nice equipment and classes. It has now been a year and I have been out there about 20 times by now and have not caught a single fish. Each time I went I learned something new and this kept me going.

So this past Saturday we headed out to the mountains and started fishing within a couple of hours I caught my first fish! Within minutes she caught hers and it was such a great feeling. She caught about 5 more after that but I stopped thinking about catching fish and focusing on what they were eating and what was hatching and changing my flies and what not. Within the next two hours I caught 22 fish and it was the greatest feeling in the world. It gave me a sense of connection to nature and it was a truly great feeling. I can not wait to hit the water again.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:01 PM

fichy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First fish ever in North America!

Congratulations! That's a wonderful story. The fly rod provides a connection between you and the fish, nature, and those you share the passion with; that's hard to duplicate with any other kind of fishing. I wish you a lifetime of stories and wonderful experiences.

Charlie
Old 05-22-2013, 03:08 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear that you finally got into fish. It's a joy that can't be had in any other style except maybe Tenkara. Hope the luck holds out for you and your friend. Best of luck!

Craig
Old 05-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I hope you can keep the run going! There is so much to know & understand surrounding success. Just take your time and think about how best to make things go your way.

Congratulations on breaking the dry spell,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-22-2013, 03:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your recent success! Your story of transitioning from spin gear to fly rod is very similar to mine. I too was inspired to get into fly fishing when I watched a gentleman land fish after fish with a fly rod. I sat there for a couple of hours and he was kind enough to show me a little bit.

Are you into tying your own flies? That's the next step once you pick up a fly rod
Old 05-22-2013, 04:54 PM

I am not yet into tying my own flies and dont think it interests me as of yet. I have planed a trip this summer back home and will be in Slovenia and possibly try and bring my gear to fish the Soca river. Here are a few photos of this river, most people here say it would be their dream to fish this, but growing up near there isnt far fetched for me

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:58 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough

Are those photos edited in any way? If not (and even if they are) my lord. Thats the river of dreams there.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95chevy View Post
Are those photos edited in any way? If not (and even if they are) my lord. Thats the river of dreams there.
I presume they would be edited except the very first one. Google "Soca river Slovenia" for more wicked photos. I know RA Beattie filmed a movie there and it was awesome the species in that river is as follows Hucho Taimen , Marble Trout, Grayling, Brown Trout, and Rainbow Trout. I am still trying to figure out if I should take all my gear over there for a 3-4 day fishing trip.

Click here for a small clip
Old 05-22-2013, 07:50 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Great story and an inspiration for any would be fisherman
Old 05-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on finally breaking that dry spell and landing your first fish! The Soca river sure looks beautiful, good luck with your trip.

Larry