The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 03:15 PM

zum will become famous soon enough
Default pistol pete

I was reading the New Flyfisher free e-magazine and seen where there are flies with little props on them.New to me but most things are in this addiction.
I see where they actually an older fly been used for catching all sorts of species.
From little reading I've done,I can see where some people don't like them for whatever reason.

I like to see a video on what they look like being fished.
I can't seem to find any and maybe this fly has other names than pistol pete?

Being a conventional fisherman(havn't used a spinning/baitcast rod this fishing season) for a lot of years,the Buzzbait is one of my favorite top water baits.I know this little fly won't act totally like this but would like to see some footage on what it does.
Anyone use this fly?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: pistol pete

Hi,

Never heard of it.....the net will be the best way to search unless someone here helps out.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-23-2013, 03:44 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I've tried them, but never had much luck using one on the fly rod. I know a lot of guys like to use them with a spinning rod under a bobber and slowly retrieve them. I assume this is what you are talking about:

Click the image to open in full size.

-Chase
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:37 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

You can find them at Cabelas and other online shops and they are sold as flys.

Rick

Last edited by oarfish; 05-23-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:23 PM

zum will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
I've tried them, but never had much luck using one on the fly rod. I know a lot of guys like to use them with a spinning rod under a bobber and slowly retrieve them. I assume this is what you are talking about:
Guess I should have read some more.
For some reason I was thinking(hoping more like it)it was like alittle mini top water buzzbait.Doesn't look like something I'd like to try...thanks for the replies.

Do they make,little prop top water flies?
Thinking something that might throw alittle more water,when you strip it/
Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i remember seeing display cards of those in my grandpas lake house basement.
they were definitely old and fit right in to his collection of old tackle.
i wish i would have grabbed a few of those, who knows where they
are now

casey

ARFE
Old 05-23-2013, 08:35 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

"Pistol Petes" are actually a trade name--google the name and you'll find the link to the company that makes them. They look similar to the one in chased's pictures, and come in a variety of colours and styles.

Some friends and I "discovered" them in a sporting goods store in Haines, Alaska some years ago and started using the chartreuse and pink ones for coho. They work well, but I think any streamer/wooly bugger-type flies in similar colours work just as well. I'm not sure about the propellers--I think the theory is that the props create disturbance and noise which attract and annoy the fish, but only the fish know if that's really true and they aren't talking.

One problem I discovered is that your tippet can wrap around the propeller, especially in windy weather, which fouls the propeller and effectively prevents the fly from swimming as it should. If I'm using them I often break off the propeller, which I suppose defeats the purpose of using them in the first place.

Scott.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Where do you draw the line between fly and hardware? Beads, coneheads, and dumbbell eyes, etc are accepted. But spinning things is where I draw the line. Looks like hardware to me.

To each his own, but I wouldn't even give these a second thought.

You?

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

"Do they make,little prop top water flies?
Thinking something that might throw alittle more water,when you strip it/"

By top water you mean dry fly. I've never seen or heard of a dry fly with a "buzzer" ala bass flies. It would sort of go against everything that fishing dry flies is about. The closest thing I know of are skater flies. A very buoyant fly with deer hair that causes a ruckus on the water when "skated" across the surface. They are generally used for steelhead.
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:11 PM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

Pistol Petes were developed in 1972 by then 12 yr old Chris Furia around the Trinidad,CO area. To me, they're nothing but a wooly bugger with a small prop in front, "Chased" has the picture. I've fished them for about 2 years now. When fishing in Northern New Mex, when I asked some anglers what's workin', the answer always was "Pistol Petes". I had no idea what they were. Looked them up and ordered me some from High Country flies in Trinidad. They cast a bit heavy on a fly rod, but I usually troll them behind a float tube. Or, as a lot of guys do, cast them behind a bubble with spinning rod. As far as their effectiveness goes, I'd have to say they are a bit more so than a plain wooly bugger. On a fly rod, I cast across stream and let it drift across and down. Size 12 is as small as they go. Oh, and they are deadly on blue-gill and crappie. Try some, you'll like them.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure they are effective but so are regular Wooley Buggers. Looks to much to me like something the Crappie fisherman use on those 15 foot telescoping poles . Hey to each his own but for me there was only one "Pistol Pete" and that's Maravich and he is a legend !

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Oh and a great top water fly,similiar name : Try a ' Sneaky Pete' !
dean_mt likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser