The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Raft.....Help Me Decide.....

If you keep them out in the sun and heat in AZ. the UV radiation is gonna be tough on the hull material. For outdoor down there I would have some sort of shade for sure, you'll also want to have a 2 stage hand pump........... The reason for the pump is that you'll have to watch how much air you have in during hot conditions there. When you go to a cooler area and put a raft into cool water the air will condense and you'll need to firm it up. When you are done fishing you'll have to release some air so that you don't pop the seams on the way home.

Rafts don't take a whole lot of air once you reach the critical mass stage of inflation. By that I mean the stage between soft tubes and really firm tubes. Being in a hot climate will just mean a little more caution and care. I really wouldn't leave a raft out in the sun year round but it will be your raft so....
waterfordcreek likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-25-2013, 01:49 PM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

Ard,

Thats helpful on the size. I was leaning towards the 13' but sounds like bigger is better eh? 90% of the time it's going to be wife, black lab, and me. Then occasional trips with 2-3 guys when buddies are in town. You think 13'6" would be the smarter buy? Probably won't do a lot of long haul trips but plan on quite a few 1-3 day floats. I thought a smaller boat would be more maneuverable but you got me leaning towards the bigger setup now.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:44 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
If you keep them out in the sun and heat in AZ. the UV radiation is gonna be tough on the hull material. For outdoor down there I would have some sort of shade for sure, you'll also want to have a 2 stage hand pump........... The reason for the pump is that you'll have to watch how much air you have in during hot conditions there. When you go to a cooler area and put a raft into cool water the air will condense and you'll need to firm it up. When you are done fishing you'll have to release some air so that you don't pop the seams on the way home.

Rafts don't take a whole lot of air once you reach the critical mass stage of inflation. By that I mean the stage between soft tubes and really firm tubes. Being in a hot climate will just mean a little more caution and care. I really wouldn't leave a raft out in the sun year round but it will be your raft so....
NO worries there, but I appreciate the heads up. She'll have a cover and be garage kept!