The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 11:23 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tying tippet sections together, how big a gap in lbs??

Quote:
Love mousing at night, and that is what I do the most of in recent years.
There you go! I did a whole bunch of that in the Eagle River when I lived in Colorado and had a shop right across the pasture from the best spot for big browns on the entire river.

If you are using the same rod and are thowing spun deer hair flies at night you'll need different leaders from the daytime. Tapered leaders are miles ahead of where they used to be for relialility, so I personally quit tying my own during the late 80's early 90's and switched to them in a heavier size than I needed and added a couple of feet of tippet when fishing lakes, ponds and bigger rivers, where I preferred longer leaders.

For the night fishing I'd use shorter leaders and tippets and used the basic salt water formula of 1/2, 1/2, 1/2 then 2 feet of tippet. So 3 1/2' of butt, 1/ 1/4' next, 3/4' next and 2' or so of tippet would be plenty long enough at night and stiff enough to roll the leader out straight with those big bombers on the end. Then just loop to loop out the entire leader when switching to big bombers.

For salt water fishing I often just use straight 60 lb flluorocarbon with hooks that will bend out if I need (or want to) release a fish at a distance. Otherwise I will use a short length of 16 lb above the wire or bite tippet that then will become the weak link in a good hookset with a stronger/bigger hook.

If you search "fly leader tapers" you'll find charts on the internet. I think Orvis or Maxima has a chart posted.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:45 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbum2020 View Post
Neat little article. (Tone is a bit much, but neat still the same.)

What I learned from tying my own leaders for years:

2x (.002) is a good general rule.

If the material is large diameter, + .015, then you can get away with .003, or .04 jump if you are +.020. (the tippet pops well before the strain affects these knots)

If the material is very fine, like going from 5x to 6X tippet, then a .001 jump is better.

If you are going from a stiff material to a limp material, (stiff leader and a long soft tippet) then stay with the same diameter or .001 jump only.

Shorter, heavier leaders for streamers and big flies are a lot less complex than a long leader for tiny dries or nymphs.

Funny thing about tying your own leaders, there is no one way to accomplish anything.

There is no one leader that does it all.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:27 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Deleted by me

Last edited by turbineblade; 05-26-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: too argumentative.