The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 06:16 PM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road
Default Tying tippet sections together, how big a gap in lbs??

If I'm joining tippet together, how many pounds can I skip between sections? For instance, I think a guide once told me I could skip one lb diameter, that is, I could join 10.b and 14lb together, skipping the 12lb diameter. So, I could join 12 & 16lb together as well. Does this sound right OR am I forced to go with the next size? 10lb to 12lb OR 6lb to 8lb?
Old 05-25-2013, 06:38 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Tying tippet sections together, how big a gap in lbs??

You can basically tie together whatever size leader sections you want, but you'll need to use knots appropriate for it.

For tying sections close together, like 20 >> 15 >> 12 >>8 >> 6 pound mono or something you can easily use blood knots, uni-uni knots, surgeons, etc. and do just fine. Blood knots are strong and make the connection more linear, so I go with those now when needed.

Some people like simple tapered leaders like 20 >> 12 >> 8 pound mono and for these slightly larger jumps you might go with the surgeons knot, but you can still use a blood knot so long as you put additional turns into the smaller diameter line. Otherwise the knot won't close properly and will end up weaker.

All said -- I use long level leaders for nearly 100% of my fishing. It works fine and I get absolutely no problems from it -- so I don't need to bother with tying sections of leader together for the most part.... but I'm out on the fringe. Most people use some kind of tapered leader with a floating fly line and I wouldn't discourage you from doing it.

Buy some cheap spools of mono and practice tying knots on the couch with a hockey game on or something. That's how I learned .
Old 05-25-2013, 06:48 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Kevin,

If you fill out the state, or province where you live you will get more replies and ones more pertinent to what you are fishing for (especially if you tell us what species).

Like turbine said, there are knots for doing almost anything, like tying 12 lb to 100 lb. for instance. Not very useful for brook trout, but sometimes useful for other fish.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:58 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

For trout leaders it's the diameter that counts, not the # test.
It's an excepted fact that you're better off to drop down no more than 2/100ths with each step.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:18 PM

wlai is on a distinguished road

Not sure how much you want to dive in, but this is the ultimate guide in making your own leader: http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbette...c/download.php. Don't say i didn't warn you :-)
Old 05-25-2013, 07:39 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I see stuff like that all the time (leadercalc) -- but I just can't see how it is even remotely necessary. A simple tapered leader formula like 20 >> 12 >> 8 >> 6 (etc.) in mono works extremely well if you need to slow down the unrolling cast to make your presentation more gentle (which I only require maybe 5% of the time here). That's a tapered leader does -- nothing mystical. Don't overthink it --
Old 05-25-2013, 08:01 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
I see stuff like that all the time (leadercalc) -- but I just can't see how it is even remotely necessary. A simple tapered leader formula like 20 >> 12 >> 8 >> 6 (etc.) in mono works extremely well if you need to slow down the unrolling cast to make your presentation more gentle (which I only require maybe 5% of the time here). That's a tapered leader does -- nothing mystical. Don't overthink it --
When it comes to trout fishing, there's nothing more important than a good leader.
Well constructed leaders are paramount to success.
The fact is that there's is absolutely nothing in trout fly fishing more important than a natural drag free drift. The gear that you use ,your casting, your fly selection, means nothing if your leader keeps you from presenting a drag free drift.
Your leader is is your most important link.
Please don't believe that this is "over thinking it"
Old 05-25-2013, 08:34 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Tying tippet to the end of a leader is different from building a leader from scratch. To do that you need to design the butt, the taper transition and the tippet section. There is much discussion about leader design ever since Charles Ritz devised the 60%-20%-20% formula for butt-taper-tippet formula for leaders that straighten out. A George Harvey design leader collapses for slack leader casts. Then there are furled leaders.

My answer is based on tying new tippet on to the tapered end to adding a thinner tippet to an existing tippet.

Basically any tapered leader must be tapered so that the energy from the thicker section smoothly turns over the thinner section. It is not a matter of lb breaking strength, but of the relative diameter of the two sections that are tied together and their relative stiffness.

If you are tying two tippets of similar stiffness, you can go down 1/3 the diameter of the larger section. Take the diameter of the larger material, multiple by 2 and divide the result by 3 to get the thinnest material you can tie to it.

For example if you have 0.015" material, you multiple by 2 to get 30 and divide 30 by 3 to get 10. So the thinnest material you can tie to the 0.015" diameter is 0.010" diameter or 1X. If you had 2X mono at 0.009 you would get 0.006 or 5X as the thinnest you could tie to the 2X mono.

It sound more complicated than it is but if you remember that you can do down 1/3 in diameter, you will remember the math.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-25-2013, 08:39 PM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

I always have and always will use Harvey's formula. I had the honor of fishing PA's Spring Creek with Mr. Harvey and even though it seems rather simple this man made it clear that he could write a novel on the formulation. In 2012 he spoke out with an update to his formula, below is a link to a good article on the subject from Flyfisherman.com:
HARVEY’S NEW LEADER FORMULA
Old 05-25-2013, 09:17 PM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road

I added my home state to my profile.

I fish medium sized trout streams that can be floated OR wading in most parts. I do both. I'll be fishing the Au sable near Grayling & the middle sections of the Manistee River.

I'll be fishing 12-15 inch trout most days while rigging for dry & I do a lot of streamer & mouse pattern fishing. Love mousing at night, and that is what I do the most of in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Kevin,

If you fill out the state, or province where you live you will get more replies and ones more pertinent to what you are fishing for (especially if you tell us what species).

Like turbine said, there are knots for doing almost anything, like tying 12 lb to 100 lb. for instance. Not very useful for brook trout, but sometimes useful for other fish.