The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By wannafish
  • 2 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 PM

uncle chubby is on a distinguished road
Default Where to cut it short??

Hey guys,

I recently bought a reel, (okuma integrity A series) and just up 100 yards of backing on it... I put my sink tip line on and as I got to the tip....the "large arbor" reel got too full to reel in the rest of the line without rubbing...so where to cut.... The backing or the start of the line?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:17 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to cut it short??

If you want to be sure to get it right, unspool the whole thing backing and all, then wind the line on the reel followed by backing, when you get it to where you want it, cut the backing, unspool it all and then respool the backing followed by the line. It can be a bit of a pain but you'll be sure you have the right amount of backing on. The alternative is to unspool the line, cut some backing off, respool the line and see if you got it right, which can be even more tedious.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:36 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

That's how I do it William; works very well for anal people like me. I leave 3/16" space from the line to the edge of the spool.
uncle chubby likes this.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:57 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Can't get it wrong using Williams method !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-26-2013, 12:29 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Fly shop guy method:
1. Coil up the line like it was on its stock spool.
2. Remove some backing.
3. Take a section of the line coil, and press it into the spool. If that section of the line coil falls about an eight of an inch below the rim of the spool, then you have removed enough backing. If it does not, repeat the process.
4. Once the proper amount of backing is removed, spool up the line.

This technique works for most reels. Some extra gappage needs to be taken in consideration for tiny trout reels.

Dennis
Hardyreels and uncle chubby like this.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I like Dennis's method, sounds easier. As for cutting the line or the backing............ either way you end up with the same length total. I have not ever cut a line and would tell you not to as well.

Ard
fredaevans and uncle chubby like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-26-2013, 01:14 AM

uncle chubby is on a distinguished road

Great guys this helps a ton! Fish on!