The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 05:52 PM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road
Default Best butt section leader material??

I'm about to make a few leaders for dry flies. Some have suggested that a limp type mono material works best. I've got Gamma Poly Flex, just not sure if that will float like the straight old fashion mono does. Anyone know?

If that Gamma won't work, what mono line works best for butt sections?

I see where guys using a Furled Leader will top it off with Flourocarbon tippet. Can I use Flourocarbon on the end of a Mono butt & mid section leader?
Old 05-26-2013, 06:03 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best butt section leader material??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2 View Post
Can I use Flourocarbon on the end of a Mono butt & mid section leader?
Yes you can.

I don't know the answer to the other questions, hopefully someone else will.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:37 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Leader material (skip what its made of for the moment) comes as 'limp' and 'stiff.' For the butt section use the 'stiff.' From there forward use what ever you want. For butts I tend to like 'McCoy.' But there are others.

Edit: Missed this: "I see where guys using a Furled Leader will top it off with Flourocarbon tippet. Can I use Flourocarbon on the end of a Mono butt & mid section leader?" Yes, but if its a straight change from mono to Flo, watch your knots carefully as you do them. With a Furl, off a 'tippet ring,' on you can use anything you want.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:06 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Best is going to be subjective of course.

I don't fish them often but furled leaders really shine for dries. If I'm building leaders, my leader material of choice is Maxima and I do tip them with fluoro. For trout, I just tie a blood knot and make sure it's well lubricated when I tighten it down. Sometimes I'll add a tippet ring. For steelies or for streamers, I like a really small swivel by Blackbird.

You could always add some flotant paste to your leader if it's not floating high enough. Give what you have a try and see what your thoughts are, it might work out just fine.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:32 AM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I use a Maxima butt, followed by a tapered mono. leader, and then add a few feet of flouro tippet! Works great, turns over, and achieves the deadest of dead drifts with a proper cast and good positioning. No problem with the "mythical" sinking of my flouro. tippet either. It floats all my flies just fine. Connections are blood knots. Maxima is connected to fly line with a needle knot.
parsond likes this.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what George Harvey had to say

Quote:
Over the years I have improved my leader design. Originally, my basic leader was made of stiff nylon. Now I make all of my leaders from the softest leader material I can purchase. My basic leader is smaller in size than all commercial leaders I have checked.

I tie my basic leaders in the following sizes .015″, .013″, .011″, and .009″. Each section is approximately 18″ to 19″ long. I attach this basic leader to my line using a nail knot and use it for all my leaders. To this basic leader, I add 3X, 4X, and 5X in lengths appropriate for the fly I am using to get a slack-leader cast.

The fly’s air resistance determines the length of the terminal tippet. You cannot use one construction for all fly sizes because the less air resistance of the fly you are using, the longer the tippet must be.

The following is how I add to the basic leader. If I am going to 4X, I add 15″ of 3X to the basic leader, then 36″ of 4X.

When I go to 5X, I add 15″ of 4X to the 3X, then 36″ of 5X.

After I have the leader built, I tie on the fly and make a short cast. If the leader piles up, I cut off a short section and try again. When you have it right you will get a good slack-leader cast.

Leaders made from soft nylon provide a better drag-free float than one with a stiff nylon base. You can also use heavier terminal tippets, which allow you to put more pressure on the trout and land and release them quicker.

Those who must use 6X, 7X, and 8X tippets to get trout to take play the fish much too long, which results in the death of many trout. Personally, I now catch all trout on nothing smaller than 4X or 5X tippets. I only use 5X on the smallest flies because I cannot get 4X through the eye of the hook. When fishing the Green Drake and other large flies, I use 2X and 3X tippets.

Read more: HARVEY
Old 05-27-2013, 10:51 AM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road

Yes, I had George's article up on my desktop for several days. I'm going to give this idea of his a go. I don't know what the "softest material" is for the butt section. So, I'm going to put up a thread asking the community for some insight. Thanks guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Here's what George Harvey had to say
Quote:
Over the years I have improved my leader design. Originally, my basic leader was made of stiff nylon. Now I make all of my leaders from the softest leader material I can purchase. My basic leader is smaller in size than all commercial leaders I have checked.

I tie my basic leaders in the following sizes .015″, .013″, .011″, and .009″. Each section is approximately 18″ to 19″ long. I attach this basic leader to my line using a nail knot and use it for all my leaders. To this basic leader, I add 3X, 4X, and 5X in lengths appropriate for the fly I am using to get a slack-leader cast.

The fly’s air resistance determines the length of the terminal tippet. You cannot use one construction for all fly sizes because the less air resistance of the fly you are using, the longer the tippet must be.

The following is how I add to the basic leader. If I am going to 4X, I add 15″ of 3X to the basic leader, then 36″ of 4X.

When I go to 5X, I add 15″ of 4X to the 3X, then 36″ of 5X.

After I have the leader built, I tie on the fly and make a short cast. If the leader piles up, I cut off a short section and try again. When you have it right you will get a good slack-leader cast.

Leaders made from soft nylon provide a better drag-free float than one with a stiff nylon base. You can also use heavier terminal tippets, which allow you to put more pressure on the trout and land and release them quicker.

Those who must use 6X, 7X, and 8X tippets to get trout to take play the fish much too long, which results in the death of many trout. Personally, I now catch all trout on nothing smaller than 4X or 5X tippets. I only use 5X on the smallest flies because I cannot get 4X through the eye of the hook. When fishing the Green Drake and other large flies, I use 2X and 3X tippets.

Read more: HARVEY
Old 05-27-2013, 10:55 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
+1111111111111

So glad that someone else has put the word out on this ridiculously light tippet craze.

I catch brookies, rainbows and browns on a cheap spool of maxima 4 pound mono, which is 4X diameter. It works perfectly. I've never stood there and though "you know what would make this better? 6X tippet!"

There's no reason to use stupid-light tippet, and then risk breaking off all the time. I can't believe how common fly fishermen talk about "breaking off on a big one" compared to other fisherman. Fly fishermen use stupid-light tippet often when it isn't necessary or beneficial. I almost NEVER break off on fish, and honestly it takes a lot of muscle to break off when I'm hung on the bottom and trying to break off.

If many of your fish stories end with you breaking off on the fish, you are probably using tippet that is too light or you are not tying knots properly!

BTW - I took a 3 weight and my 4 pound mono out yesterday on the Potomac trib and caught several decent bass and my first snakehead! I would post pics but it's a pain on this site. All of these fish are larger than what most people will hook on a typical trout stream, and NONE posed any problem with "breaking off". Of course, now I probably won't catch a damn thing the rest of the year .
imxer likes this.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:14 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't know what the "softest material" is for the butt section. So, I'm going to put up a thread asking the community for some insight.
I use Orvis Superstrong for soft material.
For stiff ... Maxima
Old 05-27-2013, 11:20 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Those who must use 6X, 7X, and 8X tippets to get trout to take play the fish much too long, which results in the death of many trout. Personally, I now catch all trout on nothing smaller than 4X or 5X tippets. I only use 5X on the smallest flies because I cannot get 4X through the eye of the hook.
yep, me too. I don't that often find fish terribly leader shy if my drift is on the money and my bug is appropriate.