The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 11 Post By drc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 10:12 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about
Default personal best 28" bow

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Yep, just got back from a fine trip in arkansas this weekend where I caught by far my personal best trout! I don't think l'll ever catch or let alone see another bow this big again! I was swinging a Black Kelly Galloup's Sex Dungeon articulated streamer on 3x tippet on a small steam in fast, shallow water. I didn't see him at first and I swung the fly about 5 feet in front of the fish on the first cast. He moved for the fly but an 18 inch bow beat him to it! I quickly landed him and made another cast. The fly swung right over his back! So I shortened my cast and put it right in front of his nose and BAM!!! I was in for the ride! He had my 6wt doubled over! After about a 5 min. fight he was ready to be netted. I led him over into some slack water and my net man scooped him up. Boy did he fill up that net! and it was one of those big bass nets! after a few quick shots, we popped out the barbless hook and let him go to live another day! He measured 28" and using a fish weight calculator, I got 16lbs!
Old 05-26-2013, 10:16 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: personal best 28" bow

Congrats! That fish has never missed a meal in it's life by the looks of it.

-Chase
Old 05-27-2013, 06:03 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Wow nice fish!! I don't trout fish but that almost makes me want to start!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:20 AM

parsond is on a distinguished road

Congrats Man! Outstanding 'Bow.

-Paul Schullery
Old 05-27-2013, 07:03 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! Now your next challenge should be to hunt down a big Brown to match!

Old 05-27-2013, 09:42 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Nice!! I know I wont forget catching a bow that big anytime soon, I caught one that taped out to 27" 2 falls ago. Yours definitely has more girth then the one I caught, it only weighted in around 10 pounds.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Good answer. "..... after a few quick shots, we popped out the barbless hook and let him go to live another day! He measured 28" and using a fish weight calculator, I got 16lbs! "

Not to be a 'wet blanket' here, but next time leave him in the water as you take your pics.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 AM

budd is on a distinguished road

congrats!! beautiful fish and the best thing is he's free again. very nice job