The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 11:07 PM

prospector18 is on a distinguished road
Default 3 or 4 wt?

I have been wanting a small water set up for quite some time and finally made my first step in buying a konic 1.5 reel. I am on the fence between a 3 and 4 wt rod. Most of my fishing will be on small, tree covered streams for trout (Michigan & Oregon), but I may pan fish as well. I have read some on the forum warning against a 3wt because of its limitations with streamers and distance. I suspect most of my fishing will be dry, but would like the option to throw a small bugger if the situation calls for it. I am looking for a 7'6" 4 pc and hoping to stay under $250 for the rod, but would entertain something close if the value was there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:24 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 or 4 wt?

I used to fish my ex-girlfriend's 7'6" Redington Classic Trout (now called the Tempt - same blank, different color and name) with weighted #12 Woolly Buggers. Keep in mind that I was not throwing the fly more than 30 feet. Here is the review.

The new Redington Tempt series does not have a 7'6" 4 weight. However, there is a 8'0" 4 weight. You may want to consider that if you plan on throwing something bigger than a #12 bugger more than 30 feet.

Dennis
imxer and fredaevans like this.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:05 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

I've got both of them, my 4 weights are both sage LL 7'3" and 8'6", and I picked up a 3 weight Winston Biix used(got a great price) on Ebay this winter. I wouldn't hesitate to bring the 3wt. out on the river for tricos but it really shines on medium and small streams. I consider it a medium flex, it can handle small streamers with no problem but I'm using it mostly for dry flies, its perfect for that. A 3wt. should be able to handle pan fish with no problem.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:42 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I went with a 7' 3-weight for small streams with a lot of cover around them. I also down-sized my flies a bit and lightened up on the weight I was using on most flies. For me, this rod is specific to that type of environment: Small, shallow streams with lots of over head cover and eleventy-billion bushes overhanging the stream: 10' - 20' wide and mid thigh deep in the deeper places for the most part. If we are talking about the same type of condition, double up on the flies you bring with you.

Hard part of this for me was figuring out a leader which would cast well pretty much on it's own and still lay out well on the rare occasion I did throw 20' of line out with it.

Only streamers I carry in my 3-weight boxes are buggers, muddlers and hornbergs. I carry a few #10's and #12's on 3Xlong hooks (with minimal weight) and for a smaller size I bounce back and forth between 9671's and 3906B's in the same size (depends of which hooks I have more of when I am tying). Stone fly nymphs were a bigger problem for me.

I don't look at my 3-weight as an all-puropse rod. For me it is about accuracy, delicate presentation and/or tight spaces. I have used it going after 16" tiger trout the state dumped into one of the local ponds and had no real issues with retreiving bead head #12 nymphs and smaller streamers 30' and under, and they were a riot.

If I am going somewhere where I expect to be casting +30' and/or using a weighted streamer, I'm bringing my 5-weight.

So, I think a 3-weight might be a very good choice for you. It's all about casting stroke if you want distance and realize that a #6 weighted bugger isn't something you will be throwing with it very effectively not very far.
bear 007 likes this.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I sold my only 3wt, but I have four 4wts. and three of those are fiberglass
Fiberglass is the way to go when fishing in tight spaces
Old 05-27-2013, 09:45 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I have 2 3wts and I love them both. They are super little rods, both are 7' length. If you want a nice short rod, look at the St Croix Avid series, they are under your budget, made in the US and just great little rods.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 AM

budd is on a distinguished road

i went with a 3 wt. made by ECHO rods. i love it. i put a nice little ROSS reel on it and now i just about use it all the time! my other rod is a St CROIX ultra 5wt which is a very nice rod also.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:20 AM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

I'd vote 3 wt. I have the TFO Finesse in 7'6". I absolutely LOVE it!! I've done a little bit of streamer fishing with it, nothing huge though. I caught a 22+ rainbow on it using a 6 sculpin helmet. I rarely do that though, that was a rare circumstance but the rod performed very well!! I also love it for small streams and delicate presentations.

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 05-27-2013, 10:53 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

i have a 3wt scott g2. i sometimes fish size 8 beadhead buggers and small bead head nymphs with a small indicator. no problem, now if you wanna nymph waist deep runs with multiple split shot a 3wt isnt your rod but for light weight occasional mymph amd streamers with lots of dries thrown in its loads of fun. as for panfish i used mine last week with both a size10 bead head bugger and a size 10 cork popper. crushed the spawning bull gills at a pond nothing like about 50 8-10 inch gills on a popper to put some pep in your step.also got several bass between 10and 12 inches and one about 14. WOOO HOOO!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I would stick to a 7'6" or 7' 3wt, 4pc rod. You'll want something short that breaks down into small pieces, but with a little backbone. I'd look at the Redington Tempt, Redington Voyant, Scott A4, maybe peruse ebay and try to pick up a Winston b2x or Sage TXL Sage ZXL.

And ditto for doubling up on flies. You'll loose a couple three or four in close quarters fly fishing!

Randy