The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 08:32 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default I'm changing as I get older..who would'a thunk it

I've keep enough stockers already. The last couple times I've been out I'm releasing them for some other fisherman,,maybe a youngster or older fella, to catch them.
The upside is,,I can catch more than my limit because I have none in my possession.

Barb-less is also something I'm doing with my fly tying. It makes releasing a fish easier on me and the fish.

Not saying I won't keep trout anymore (I like trout) but not everyone I catch for sure. And only stockers do I keep at all.

BTW I've done catch and release on wild and native fish (cept catfish and a few gills for eating) for ages.

The other morning I called in a really nice gobbler that I let pass. He just looked so 'right' in the woods ,,and I wasn't really hungry...and that was enough. 10 years ago, I'd have shot MYSELF for doing that.

Just musin' how life changes a person

Mike
Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: I'm changing as I get older..who would'a thunk it

So yes. " ..... The other morning I called in a really nice gobbler that I let pass. He just looked so 'right' in the woods ,,and I wasn't really hungry...and that was enough. 10 years ago, I'd have shot MYSELF for doing that.

Just musin' how life changes a person

Mike"

Indeed it does Mike. Honestly can't remember the last time I didn't C & R. I think my turning point was several years back with a 8-10 pound Steelhead at my feet. Self said to Self: 'There's just you and an old dog, what would you do with all that?'

Back he, and everything else since, went into the river.

As for the Turkey? Just getting to come was the challenge, not the kill.

Fred
Old 05-27-2013, 10:25 AM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I'm changing as I get older..who would'a thunk it

I've always been a C+R guy. I guess it's just the way I was taught to fish. I can actually say I've never kept a trout I've caught. I can't say that won't change down the road, but it may never. We'll have to see. I've got no problem with people keeping their limit on stocked streams,that's what the limit is there for. It does hurt me to see people pulling natives out though. That's just such a fragile part of ecosystem I feel.
fly_guy12955 likes this.

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 05-27-2013, 10:31 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've been into C&R since it was called "thowin ' 'em back"
When the wife wants fresh fish, I go catch her some bluegill. Harvesting them is actually good for the fishery
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

C & R is fun. I've caught and released about 50 trout since Thursday.

I agree that barbless hooks make this tons easier. Usually, just netting the fish makes the hook fall out.

I took my 9-yr-old granddaughter fishing for the first time on Friday afternoon. The (stocked) fishing had been so good earlier in the day that I thought it'd be a great chance for her to catch some fish. I told her on the way that we'd be releasing all the fish.

She had a blast. She caught 4 11-12" rainbows and lost 4 more. This was not grandpa hooking the fish and handing her the rod to reel them in. She had waders on and was standing in the river catching them on her own. OK, I confess. She was using a spinning rod and lures, not flies. Hasn't mastered the fly rod yet.

She asked me if next time we could bring some home. Her other grandmother (not my wife) loves trout.
fly_guy12955 and busbus like this.

Last edited by plecain; 05-27-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

95% of the time I am C&R. The only time I keep fish is when we are camping and I can cook and eat them right there. I figure if the original Trout Bum is OK with it I'm OK with it.

We always go deer hunting and two seasons ago I mortally wounded a nice buck. After tracking him down I had to put another round in him and the look in his eyes was painful. First time that I have ever been effected by something like that. We have always gone deer/elk hunting but that was the first time the animal looked at me and spoke to me. I'll never forget it and I actually haven't been hunting the last two season.

The turkey though, I'd have nailed him! I have a long drawn out love hate deal with the local turkeys. It's like they're always laughing at me...

Randy
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:04 PM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road

I have always practiced C&R also. I never really had a reason to keep a fish other than a picture. I have even been know to practice LDC&R.

As for hunting, last year I went out but with my Nikons instead of a weapon. I found I am getting more pleasure in shooting a picture of a deer or turkey than actually shooting them.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It's only a natural course of events Mike.

I used to stay right in the woods for days when I was after a particular spring bird. One year it took 5 days and I got the one I was after, but like some fish I killed so long ago that turkey was dead and I was never the same.

I have a trophy I got for a brown trout back in 1973. It was the largest brown killed & registered in my part of Pennsylvania that year. It took almost ten years but I learned the 'history' of that particular strain of brown trout in that exact watershed. Why were they there, why did no one know about them? An old man (maybe 90 when he told me the story) unraveled the back story for me and I felt really bad for having taken that link out of the chain some 10 or 11 years prior.

By 1980 I was done taking trout unless I was on a back country trek somewhere in a wilderness area and then just a few for a meal. Even that didn't work out so well when the smells from my little cooking camp attracted a grizzly bear deep in the Gallatin National Forest...................... I think that was 1982 and I haven't taken any by intent since then. I've been hard on the salmon here; some years I took between 30 and 40 fish and we ate a lot of salmon but those days are over too. Last year I released all but one king salmon that was caught and still felt bad about the one killed. I'll get past that when we get some good numbers again but for now why would I kill one when I might be able to catch ten in the same day..................

Here's another thing to watch for as you get older; getting out of a small dome tent in the morning after a night on the riverside will be much more difficult

You are not alone buddy,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-27-2013, 01:33 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

We all change...some for the better, others...not so much. I came to C&R late in the '80s and figured it out then thanks to a C&R friend who was patient with me.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here when you have the time Mike
when I was young...but not wise