The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 04:01 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Fellow's 15 year kept bugging Dad to let her row the drift boat for the first time.

This too good not to share: Cheerleader learns to row drift boat - YouTube
brucerducer likes this.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fellow's 15 year kept bugging Dad to let her row the drift boat for the first tim

Except for the last part, she did a lot better than me the first time I was on the oars. I did donuts right through a pod of fisherman standing out in the river.

Thank goodness I don't do that anymore.
brucerducer likes this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 05-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fellow's 15 year kept bugging Dad to let her row the drift boat for the first tim

Or my first time on the oars on the Green when we got high centered on the diversion dam, Davo had to jump out to get us off the rock.
fysh, milt spawn and brucerducer like this.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
I did donuts right through a pod of fisherman standing out in the river.

Thank goodness I don't do that anymore.
Sounds like something I would do even if I was an experienced oarsman. "Woah! Comin' through! Watch it! " As I do circles down the river past the wading fishermen. I figure they will either get mad, or have a good laugh if they have a sense of humor.
fysh and fredaevans like this.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:10 AM

shug11 is on a distinguished road

That's not as bad as trying to steer away from some fishermen, but instead hitting the rockwall and sandbar on the shore. Thus having to get out of the canoe and push it back into the water.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Or my first time on the oars on the Green when we got high centered on the diversion dam, Davo had to jump out to get us off the rock.
LOL! Larry, I forgot about that. Scared the bajeezers out of me when it happened though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
Sounds like something I would do even if I was an experienced oarsman. "Woah! Comin' through! Watch it! " As I do circles down the river past the wading fishermen. I figure they will either get mad, or have a good laugh if they have a sense of humor.
Luckily the group was very good natured about it, still plenty embarrassing though.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 05-30-2013, 03:58 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I think this dad has the right idea: You gotta get 'em trained EARLY!
You want them to be able to row you safely when you're too old & stove up to row yourself or swim to shore.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 05-31-2013, 04:33 PM

tromak is on a distinguished road

Introducing people to rowing a drift boat can be one of the funniest things you can experience on the river. Make sure your in a safe spot , and that everyone has a sense of humor. A diamond plated floor willie with dyna lites shes set up for success.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:17 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Just the fact that she wanted to row is a beautiful thing.
I would hope this little disturbance wouldn't deter her from trying again.

I have provided a number of hilarious moments for my friends, fellow anglers and myself. Fortunately they were just that, because they can be frighting at the time.

For that matter I usually get a good laugh every time I go out, if not from my own boat someone else.

Pardon my tangent, but IMO its not just a beginner thing. Sure the rowing part comes with time but really the more you do it the more likely something will happen. Rivers are a continuously changing force of nature, its not a matter if it will happen, its more when it happens will you be prepared?

I have seen grown adults flop straight out of the boat. though I can't take any claim to that, I have pulled off similar acrobatics as the cheerleader. The only difference was I was already in a daunting moment going through a super narrow braided channel with over hanging vegetation and when I went to sit back down I flopped on the floor with the camping gear in the back. moments later I was popping out of a random overgrown channel with anglers awaiting only then having to pull the boat over a gravel bar to get back to the main channel
While the gravel thing is noting I am not use to, it just felt more humiliating this time

That is just one story related and Ill spare you the rest of my embarrassments. As many of you have, I have seen some super funny moments, border line frighting moments and then some straight up life and death moments. That was pretty darn funny, I have been waiting to catch one of my fishing partners on camera doing something that hilarious.

Anyways I guess all I am saying is she already one upped many fishermen just by wearing a PFD

Hope everyone is getting out!
Peace,
Watson
fysh likes this.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:01 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

ha ha ....what kind of a Sailor lays down on the job?

Belay that Matey.

Anyway, I've never, ever done anything that stupid, '...cept of course that time I started the electric motor to go back to the dock at the end of the day. Must have taken me 20 minutes to figure out the Anchor was down.
That was all my son's fault of course.
watson likes this.