The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 01:30 PM

oldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura aboutoldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura about
Default What do I need to get started?

I have been fly fishing for a few months now and want to start tying my own flies to save money and to make fly fishing more fun. I have been looking at getting a kit but I do not know what I am looking for and what materials I need to start. Should I get a kit with the tools and materials I need or should I buy everything in parts. I would like to tie mainly nymphs with some streamers for trout fishing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 01:36 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What do I need to get started?

Im gonna direct you to the fly tying section -

General Fly Tying Discussions - The North American Fly Fishing Forum

There are a few stickies at the top that should get you started
Old 05-28-2013, 04:30 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

You can't have both of your conditions met-- to save money AND to make fly fishing more fun.

If you save money (with a kit) it will likely not be very fun because the materials/ tools will be lacking in quality.

If you want to have fun (buying everything piece by piece) you will spend a small fortune. BUT, there's good news: it is sooooooo worth it.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:24 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Ditto. Tying saves absolutely no money, unless you only fish 1-2 patterns and nothing else .

It is a blast though -- I enjoy tying when I'm not out fishing. The best part is that you can tie whatever the heck you want, and you can do a better job at it.

I've picked up at least a dozen commercial-tied clouser minnows with the eyes too far forward, and with too much bucktail that I could literally pull out instantly. My own are less "finished" looking, but they hold up 100X better and they ride through the water much better.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:43 PM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road

I will third the money idea.

I haven't saved a dime. Look at it in another light though. Tying is an investment. You are learning yet another skill in our sport. You are relying more on yourself to create your success than on someone else.

Tying flys is not really about the money. It is more about taking pride in who we are and in what we do. The satisfaction I get on getting a new pattern right....is only second to when that new pattern aids me in catching a fish.

Sitting back after the fight and reflecting on the fact that all my hard work at the vise, all that time getting a new pattern just so, aided me in catching a fish. That is a very good feeling.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-28-2013, 07:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When I started tying my own flies 40+ years ago, not only was there nowhere I could go to to buy materials but as I was a kid, I didn't have a lot of money anyway.
I made do with what I could scratch up.

So I strongly disagree with those that say you can't save money by tying your own flies. I know better.

I don't tie for fun, I just tie to have flies to fish with. If you have that attitude, you don't need every material offered or even every material in every recipe.
You can make substitutions without the fly police breaking down your door.

When I was a kid I tied all my flies from scrounged materials like feathers and road kill. I still collect and use stuff like that that I find lying around as much or even more than purchased materials.

So don't let anyone tell you it's not possible to save money by tying your own. They're only speaking of their own experience
Flyfisher for men likes this.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Rip Tide says it well.

Alot of the fun in this is scrounging up materials.

Be forewarned: You'll be rejoicing when your cat sheds and you realize there are significant differences in drier lint!
Old 05-29-2013, 01:32 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I save tons of money by tying my saltwater flies. There's no way I could ever pay $3-$5 per fly and still look myself in the mirror. On the freshwater side I buy staple flies like Pheasant tails and hair's ears but tie the local patterns that I can't find already tied.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:04 AM

oldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura aboutoldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura about

Thank you guys for the responses, they have helped a lot. Even if I will not save a ton of money, I know it will be worth it. I think tonight I am going to buy the supplies and start tying as soon as it gets here. Thanks again for the answers.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

The feeling of pride you will have when you catch your first fish on a fly that you actually tied, makes it all worth it!