The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By raindogt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 01:57 PM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road
Default Handmade Furled leaders WithOut using a jig-opinions??

I'm making up a few new leader types for testing this season. I'm considering tying my own Furled leader/s. The type without the jib, described here & shown in this youtube video is the type I'm going to put together...

I see that many use the furled leaders here, but I'm wondering who has used this type & are they any good? Any other input on construction, mono lb to use, tips and tricks, might help as well...
Old 05-28-2013, 04:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Handmade Furled leaders WithOut using a jig-opinions??

I have twisted leaders on a couple of my saltwater lines.
They work okay. Not better.....but probably as well as my 3 part hand knotted.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Uh Oh...... You just opened a can of worms.

Where to start? That leader will be just fine. Is it a 'furled' leader? No, more of a twisted leader. Will it work? yes. Will it cast and deliver a fly to fish? yes. Is it as pretty as a nice furled leader? IMO, no. Does it, therefore suck? No.

I furl my own leaders. I built a jig to do it. I like being able to play with tapers, lengths and materials. I like that it gives me something to do in the off season. If it wasn't a 'labor of love' I wouldn't do it. I like the lack of knots that a hand tied step- down leader inevitably has. I am too cheap to buy tapered leaders.

As long as it succeeds at delivering your fly to the fish, use what leaders you like.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:40 PM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road

raindogt, is it pretty easy to make the jig and do the leaders yourself? I was considering this method as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
Uh Oh...... You just opened a can of worms.

Where to start? That leader will be just fine. Is it a 'furled' leader? No, more of a twisted leader. Will it work? yes. Will it cast and deliver a fly to fish? yes. Is it as pretty as a nice furled leader? IMO, no. Does it, therefore suck? No.

I furl my own leaders. I built a jig to do it. I like being able to play with tapers, lengths and materials. I like that it gives me something to do in the off season. If it wasn't a 'labor of love' I wouldn't do it. I like the lack of knots that a hand tied step- down leader inevitably has. I am too cheap to buy tapered leaders.

As long as it succeeds at delivering your fly to the fish, use what leaders you like.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:55 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Making the jig is easy. If I didn't already have a jig made, I'd simply drill some 1/2 inch holes into the surface of my workbench, and use 1/2 dowels (not glued in, so they are removable) as the pegs.

The only modification that I made to my jig versus the 'template' I found (google) was to make 3 different 'end peg' lengths.

As for the leaders-- there is a learning curve with the tension (how much and keeping it tensioned), and there is a learning curve with finishing the ends. other than that it is really pretty simple.

There is plenty of info Let me google that for you take your pick. I think I used the Hatches Mag. article from that search query.

To save forum bandwith, feel free to pm me your phone # and I can talk it out to you. There is no really simple way to type it all out-- as you will notice; the articles about furling aren't known to be concise.
rubberguy likes this.