The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Maybe I'm not a dry fly guy . . .

So I'm fishing last weekend with a buddy of mine on his favorite lake (float tubing), when a couple strangers kayak up to have a chat.

We go through the "hi, how's it goin'" thing when he asks, "fishing dries?"
I reply, "yep." Still watching my fly as it drifts under some low hanging branches about 30 feet away.
"Adams?"
"No. Stim."
"Oh. that's not a dry, is it?"
I actually stop looking at my stim to look up at the sky to think it over. "Uh, I believe it is."
"isn't that a terrestrial?"
"Yep." I start thinking this on-the-water-and-meet-new-people thing isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Well, he and his partner eventually paddled off, leaving me to get back to fishing. But it started me thinking. If I wrote a short list of my favorite dries, it would look like this:

Moorish foam hoppers #10 or #12
Stimulators, rubber-legged or otherwise #s 12-16
PMXs #10-16
Foam cicadas #s 12-14
Green/brown drake #14
Flying ant #16
BWO #16-18

Well, you can see my problem. Most of those flies are not what you'd call typical dries. They are, in fact, commonly called 'terrestrials.' Excepting the BWO of course. So am I not a dry fly guy?

Am I really a terrestrial guy? Does this make me some kind of 'red-headed stepchild' in the ranks of respectable fly fishermen the world over? Is there a clinic I can contact? Some medicinal recourse perhaps?

Please, someone tell me, what should I do, who should I talk to?

My very soul may hang in the balance . . .
Hardyreels and yonder like this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maybe I'm not a dry fly guy . . .

Wouldn't the drakes make the kayaking purist's cut as well as the BWO? I'd add the stim too for a stonefly. All that said, call them all dries and next time you're on the lake and the guys kayak up see if you can float an eggi juan kenobi and tell him that's a dry too
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

your soul is safe from the ravages of fly fishing
Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Wouldn't the drakes make the kayaking purist's cut as well as the BWO? I'd add the stim too for a stonefly. All that said, call them all dries and next time you're on the lake and the guys kayak up see if you can float an eggi juan kenobi and tell him that's a dry too
Yeah, forgot about the drakes. my mind keeps translating them into damselflies. You know, I've actually rubbed floatant on dry zonker minnows before so that they'd 'skitter' across the surface. Does that make them dries? Or did I commit some sort of sinful hybridization?
williamhj likes this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 05-29-2013, 01:30 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Hi !

I think the trem "dry" mean what it means....on the surface.

IMO, a # 22 midge or a # 2 Mouse pattern , is a dry fly.

Keep it simple : Terrestrials, Mayflies, sedge, ect: dry fly

all other stuff under water: wet, nymph or streamer
willki likes this.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

In 1950 Vincent Marinaro wrote a book called A Modern Dry Fly Code
It's main subject is fishing the lost season (summer) with terrestrials. Something that was previously not done.
... He literally wrote the book on terrestrial fishing and he called them dry flies
You can too.
imxer and willki like this.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
... You know, I've actually rubbed floatant on dry zonker minnows before so that they'd 'skitter' across the surface. Does that make them dries? Or did I commit some sort of sinful hybridization?
Funny, I do the same thing with soft hackles and was wondering the dsame thing as I read this.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
Funny, I do the same thing with soft hackles and was wondering the dsame thing as I read this.
Somebody wrote about that, calling them "damp flies". Gary Borger maybe.
They work really well.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:01 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I like the name "damp fly" but to my knowledge, it was not Gary's name for soft hackles.

He calls them wet/dry flies because they can be fished both ways. They are stage 4 in Gary's 5 stages of emergence. The soft hackle is what Gary would call a "film fly", an imitation of one of the 5 stages of emergence that occur just under, in, or on the film

Read about film flies here:

Film Flies | Five Stages Of Insect Emergence And The Best Flies To Imitate

Read about the softhackle wet/dry here:

Gary Borger » The Wet/Dry Fly

Gary Borger » Blog Archive » Wet/Dry Fly

Gary Borger » Blog Archive » Wet/Dry Fly Stage 4 Emerger

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-29-2013, 10:18 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

It's sad that Borger no longer makes those neutral buoyancy lines.