The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 8 Post By kicker19
  • 2 Post By brucerducer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 05:57 AM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough
Default another fishing story

its funny how this story relates to some of resent threads !

Memorial day weekend i went to north Ga mtns to fish the Toccoa river. The weather was perfect, FINALLY, highs in the mid 70's with low humidity. Got there early friday morning to find majority of the campsites occupied, not an issue cause it seems no one was there to fish except me. I fished all day friday and saturday with NO action, even after trying dries, streamers, nymphs, and wolly buggers. there was a diverse bug life throughout the weekend but none on the water and no fish rising
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
didnt mean for it to be blurry but you can still make it out
Sunday rolls around and the bait casters were everywhere. it seemed all of them were more fortunate then i, was apparent by the trout they were carrying. By that afternoon i took a break from fishing to dry off, i had a 90% baptism after slipping on a rock partially filling my waders. as i dried off i noticed another fly fisherman trying his luck at this bend. it was apparent he has not fly fished very long, his cast looked like a ring leader at a circus with a whip, actually looked like he was trying to beat the water. the guy eventually called it a day and while walking through my campsite we get to talking. i did not feel it was my place or appropriate to make any comment or correction on his "casting". he was a nice guy who also noticed the amount of people who were walking around with fish. it was now more apparent no one in this area practiced catch and release, i felt like i was the only one who did. i do not care that the river is stocked with fish every month, because no one practices c&r the system is not as prevalent as it could be. that afternoon i went out for another casting session. i tied on a midge pattern that i made up one night out of just random material, was a #18 grey body with red tail and peacock herl head. within one hour i landed two trout, both 10'' beauties
i dont believe the picture does much justice. they other fish broke free before i could get a picture.
it was getting dark and made my way back to camp, i ran into the guy i had talked with earlier. his luck was still the same as before, i still think it has to do this is not so effective casting, but even ugly cast catch fish sometimes. so to help the guy out, i decided to give him the midge i just used to land those two. figured it would atleast give him a better chance.
all in all it was a good trip. learned much about the bahavior of other fisherman, that trout can be "unique" in the appitite, and that maybe a nice gesture will someday bring me good karma !
one last ditch fishing trip before i had to head back to reality was to a small creek near my home. 5 hours of fishing and landed about 40 bluegill. definitly a great way to top off the weekend
Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Last edited by kicker19; 05-29-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: another fishing story

Kicker:

Being Indiana borne, I can really appreciate the beauty of the Bluegill photo.

Your other photos and story are worthwhile. I can't do photos but I do enjoy the way Fly Fishermen give an account of their time at some water.
Your thoughts are interesting too, about the "luck" and watching the other fellow, and sharing your little nymph.

I've found that many fishermen enjoy talking about the little things, such as the flies tried, and the water conditions. For a guy like me, who is not such a great conversationalist, I like the way some many FlyFishermen become both instant friends and temporary coaches too.

It's like the people who see your turn signal in traffic, and they slow down to
Let---You---In. It's nice to know people are friendly.

Some people can amaze you with how much they know, like how to find a leak in waders, or how to correct a problem cast. Some Fly Fishermen are a walking Encyclopedia, but they will never write a book.

mcnerney and kicker19 like this.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:35 AM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: another fishing story

Thank you ! So much can be said in response to your reply but I'll try to keep it short and sweet. I'm not sure who originally made the statement that "fly fishing is so much more than fishing" but they were correct. I believe that society would be a much better place if everyone lived by the golden rule, sadly that is not the case. I personally am not out to screw someone over to get somewhere or something. As far as you saying your not the greatest conversationalist, don't stress yourself, even quite people have opinions or knowledge that someone else could learn a thing or two, which is a reason I frequent this site.