The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 AM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road
Default I ain't throwing nothing but BIG all summer!

OK, I'll take my small stuff along, just incase the plan implodes. But, the plan is throw big flies & swing huge streamers in search of big trout. I'll mouse it up day & night, and I'll toss all my biggest dry flies NO matter the hatch. I've got them in my boxes & I'm going to put them to work.

If big trout like BIG dinner, then I'm your guy mister 24 incher!

First day out...this Friday, rain OR shine!
fysh and brucerducer like this.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:07 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I ain't throwing nothing but BIG all summer!

That's the thing about fly fishing.
Once you decide something has to be done one certain way.... it will humble you every time
willki likes this.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:16 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
That's the thing about fly fishing.
Once you decide something has to be done one certain way.... it will humble you every time
On the other side of the coin, it can also teach you a bit about when patterns are most likely to be successful.

Before I got into fly fishing, I spent an entire summer throwing nothing but topwater frogs. At the end of the summer, I was able to put together a good idea of when they work and when they don't. The next summer, it was nothing but jig-n-pigs and the one after that, worms.

While all had their moments of greatness and skunks, I can put what I learned from the 3 summers and be able to intelligently know when to fish what based on water temps, clarity, skies, levels, etc....
Old 05-30-2013, 08:22 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

That may be fine with bass fishing but with trout if you're too set in ways it will bite you in the ass every time
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with challenging yourself. I'm sure Rip is right, it could be tough. Some people do dry only, one fly for a day or a season, bringing just one small fly box where they'd usually bring several, and who knows what other self-imposed limits on their fishing. Might learn something and become a better fisherman. Might also be tough to keep the small flies in the box while the mayflies are hatching.

p.s. you should consider the Hex a 'big' fly and have fun with the Michigan hatch.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That may be fine with bass fishing but with trout if you're too set in ways it will bite you in the ass every time
A pea sized brain is a pea sized brain.

If you fish for something - trout, bass, salmon, etc...- enough then you will learn about patterns. If you do nothing but fish one fly for an entire season, you will have an idea of when that fly produces and when it doesn't. When you repeat this same exercise over a number of seasons with different flies, presentations, you will learn the same about those.

Sure, you may not catch as many fish in those first few years but once you have gone through the learning curve, you will be able to decided what might work that day better than if you just go out and throw everything you have at them every single time in hopes of guessing the right combination.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
A pea sized brain is a pea sized brain.

If you fish for something - trout, bass, salmon, etc...- enough then you will learn about patterns. If you do nothing but fish one fly for an entire season, you will have an idea of when that fly produces and when it doesn't. When you repeat this same exercise over a number of seasons with different flies, presentations, you will learn the same about those.

Sure, you may not catch as many fish in those first few years but once you have gone through the learning curve, you will be able to decided what might work that day better than if you just go out and throw everything you have at them every single time in hopes of guessing the right combination.
I did that fly fishing for striped bass in the '90s. There were a lot of fish around and it was fairly easy to see patterns.
One season it was one fly only. Yellow over white deceivers. That worked great for most of the year until fall when that fly's profile and color no longer matched the prevalent baitfish. I had to switch to a higher profile all white fly. Good lesson.
With NE saltwater fly fishing, understanding bait fish migration is key to choosing the proper fly and the better you understand that, along with the effect of tides and winds the easier it is to predict.

What many people like about trout fishing is that it's not as predictable as that. It forces you to think.
Yeah, hatches can be predicted to the day, but the fly that worked yesterday may not work today. And what's working now may not work an hour from now. Today's color will not be tomorrow's color.

There's a lot of variables.You have to use your head, assess the situation, and adjust
It's not that cut and dried and that's what makes it a thinking man's game.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Yeah, hatches can be predicted to the day, but the fly that worked yesterday may not work today. And what's working now may not work an hour from now. Today's color, will not be tomorrow's color.
That's the truth for sure. Throw in different kinds of trout in the same stream and it gets even more interesting.

Last week, at a river with rainbows, browns and brook trout, the type of trout I caught depended almost entirely on the color and shape of fly I used.

Browns wanted the streamer that mimics a small rainbow trout. Rainbows wanted a red and yellow streamer. Brook trout hit anything.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 AM

While I get that, there is a reason why certain flies have stood the test of time.

The copper john has been catching trout since the early 90's for a reason. Mice patterns have been catching big browns and steelhead for god only knows how long for a reason. The clouser has been catching fish since the mid 80's for a reason. Little inline spinners have been catching trout and salmon for decades for a reason.

Experience tells you when they are most likely to work and when they might not. As you say, "You have to use your head, assess the situation, and adjust". The ability to do that is based on what?

Experience.

Unless you try these different patterns, presentations, etc...in various conditions, you will only be making guesses rather than educated guesses.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:41 AM

Self deleted