The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 07:02 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why do people have to be knuckleheads?

You did handle that well and those kinds of people are everywhere. I don't know about PA, but people start doing that to you in MO you can call the conservation department or the rangers office and they will have an agent come out and remove the individuals, its illegal to harass sportsmen in the state. I've seen it happen and I've also been the one responsible for getting someone removed ( it was at a campground but none the less ). Actually it happened twice at a campground, the shireff showed up the second time.
mcnerney likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-02-2013, 09:23 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the back-up. It was the first time I was exposed to harassment like that. Who knows? Maybe those same morons would whine if they saw another spin angler release fish but I think it was the fact that I was (trying to) fly fish that irritated them.

I also do not know why it bugged me so much and, the morning after, it still bothers me.

I have so many pithy things that I could have said--some at the time but tons more now that I have had time to think about it. I just don't move like I used to and I doubt if I could have taken on two or three idiots at my age. If this were 25 or 30 years ago, I don't think I would have handled it the same. I may not have won but I am positive each of them would be hurting pretty good, too.

I have changed a lot over the past five years in that I need to watch what I am doing since I am on blood thinners. Internal bleeding from falls and such are what the doctor is concerned about. Heck, that is why I never, EVER bring my wife to any stream I go to because she would freak seeing all the rocks and fast water and knowing that I cross the stream every once in a while. I don't like the fact that she doesn't like fishing but I am thankful for it at the same time. I could see she would nag me to stop because I could die.

I am not going to stop, but I will make good choices. And walking away yesterday was the right choice even though it burns the snot out of me. I learned a lot just casting 20 feet offshore in a bunch of different spots and situations yesterday, so it was a blessing in disguise. I even got somewhat adequate casting side-armed and casting while leaning my stomach on a tree growing out over the water. It was cool learning that you can fly fish in spots that are totally unfishable with spin rods from shore.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:56 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough

For me, fishing along the Lake Huron tribs, those "knuckleheads" are called float rodders. I can not think of a time where, in season, those guys don't crowd me out. And then, along with the crowding....it seems every one of them (I know, not all do)...smoke! So I am awash in the blue haze of drifting cigarette smoke.

So, dodging drifting floats cast from upstream or downstream....inhaling smoke and then...listening to the jabbering on of the rubes. AND THEN, heavens forbid, one hooks a fish...to watch the antics of the landing process...and IF its a hen...the stripping of eggs.

I DO say things back...typically defending my 25' wedge of fishing space (nymph fishing)....or rough handling...but that crew (floaters) are tight knit crew and in no time, your defending from a crew....not just one on one.

That's ok, for the most part as I am not a small guy and a trained fighter whom loves a good 'rout' now and then....BUT, I am fishing and the reason for being 'here' is to do that.

A-holes are found everywhere. It seems you handled things much better than I would.

King Joe Outa Here!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:09 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

They may have given you a hard time but your the one that caught the fish, you did handle it allot better than I would have. I've never experienced anything like that up here but I very rarely come across anybody when I'm fishing.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 AM

eightyfour is on a distinguished road

I think you handled that quite well. Not to hijack the thread or anything, I had a similar situation where a Ukrainian fellow (me being one as well, but grew up in the USA) were taking trout less than 3" long. The man must have had 2 of them. I myself didn't say anything but I thought to my self, "How stupid can you be? Do you not have any conservative sense?" I my self dine on my catch that is over a personal limit that I set and I throw the others back. Just a comparative sense, but better to say nothing at all if it is in correlation to personal judgement.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:06 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post

It can be hard to let it go but remember they probably aren't giving it a second thought so you're just hurting yourself. Also remember, people that abrasive have to live with themselves which has to be a punishment of some kind. They can actually pretty sad people if they weren't so annoying. So don't let them keep bugging you, let it go and move on. Easier said than done I know.
+1

Don't let them bother you. Only you can determine how you feel. Ignoring the ignorant is the best advice I can give.
mcnerney, fredaevans and yonder like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-02-2013, 01:07 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Why do people have to be knuckleheads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
+1

Don't let them bother you. Only you can determine how you feel. Ignoring the ignorant is the best advice I can give.
Well said Silver Creek. Remember a bit of advice from one of my early Mentors (I was lucky enough to have several over the years ... and hopefully 'Passed it forward.')

Fellow asked me what my definition of 'Anger' was. Told him something, and he said no. The real definition of 'anger' is "Turning over the control of your emotions to someone else."

Over the intervening years I've found nothing to dissuade me that the Gentleman was incorrect in his assessment.

Fred
mcnerney, busbus and yonder like this.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:23 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Hey BusBus,

Glad that you had a nice day at the second lake.

I think that loud people like that are exactly as you described them.

I am reminded of the times when you spend time, effort and money to get on a lake or river, and some "knucklehead" comes by with a Radio or CD blasting loud music.

But you do have my sympathies about someone heckling you for a casting difficulty. We aren't necessarily "experts". We are just fishermen, and also guys and gals who want a little peace and enjoyment.

I hope you have many other happy days on those lakes.

We can always apply quiet and patient persistence to do better technique, and bring the character of "Ladies" and "Gentlemen" to our sport.

mcnerney, busbus and yonder like this.

Last edited by brucerducer; 06-02-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:53 PM

depenner will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=brucerducer;561376]Hey BusBus,

I am reminded of the times when you spend time, effort and money to get on a lake or river, and some "knucklehead" comes by with a Radio or CD blasting loud music.

Ok this reminds me of a lake "event" a long time ago. We were at a local lake that gets a LOT of visitors on a summer weekend. It's a relatively long lake and a favorite of water skiers and "big" boats.

Near us were a group with a boat with a large v-8 inboard, complete with open headers. This lake is between two sets of mountains and sound reverberates forever. So, this group would go flying around the lake for a bit, come back and have a few beers and go again. Nobody near them was enjoying this a bit. Finally, a couple people fire up the boat and take off. The come flying back in, clearly hoping to cut close to the beach and spray everybody. The guy makes his cut, the boat stalls, the backwave swamps the transom and the boat sinks in about 20 seconds. Everyone on the beach stands up and applauds as the guys swim to shore. This lake has a very quick drop-off. Apparently the boat ended up in about 50 feet of water. Still brings a smile to my face.

david
Old 06-02-2013, 06:59 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
Hey BusBus,

Glad that you had a nice day at the second lake.

But you do have my sympathies about someone heckling you for a casting difficulty. We aren't necessarily "experts". We are just fishermen, and also guys and gals who want a little peace and enjoyment.

I hope you have many other happy days on those lakes.

We can always apply quite and patient persistence to do better technique, and the character of "Ladies" and "Gentlemen" to our sport.

Thanks. I felt I did get better with my casting. Of course, not being very good and being on display did not help. The wind was a lot less at the other lake. Maybe it is because I wasn't in the wide open but, rather, amongst trees and such.

And maybe it was because there were no knuckleheads around me.

I have to say that I am finally calmed down now. It is a bad thing it took 36 hours. I jumped full tilt into this sport because I needed to find something the relieve the stress of day-to-day life, especially work. There always seems to be people all hyped up at work and I don't need "my time" to continue the same way.

I have said this before: it is not the catching of fish that I like as much as just being outside. Just experiencing nature and all its splendor is what it is all about to me. Of course, people say why don't I just hike and take pictures. I see their point but there is something magical about fishing. Even though fish are pretty stupid, as a whole, it is still an accomplishment to catch those suckers. I like the quiet. I like the solitude. And I like the challenge.

Maybe the act of tossing them back in is my way of tipping my hat to them, especially if they were very worthy opponents.

All that said, I can't wait to go out again. I am on vacation this next week but I think I am going to stop at the teeny, tiny pond near work at least once the following week during lunch. I am still not very good but I had enough success that I am excited to get the line wet again.