The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 10:43 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why do people have to be knuckleheads?

BusBus:

There is a small, reservoir here on Gov't Property, but it is opened each spring to the public who bother to get a documentation etc and agree to abide by the rules. It's a special place, because it has Pike in it. Huge Pike, some of them reaching 44" but it's all 100% Catch and Release. The lake is .... I dunno, a few acres maybe?

On more than one occasion, one fellow whom I recall, would show up, throw out his tackle (Artificial Only, De-Barbed Hooks) and start talking.

One could hear this fellow from 75 yards away, loudly exulting about
....(paraphrasing) "I'm telling you Dude, this ...ing Bass was ...ing enormous Man. I mean Dude, it must have been ...ing this ....ing big! So I got out my ...ing Rebel lure and ...ing cast it out into the ...ing Lake and ...ing Bam! Dude, he ...ing hit that lure so ...ing hard and I'm not ...ing kidding Dude .....etc.!"

The man went on, and on, and on like this while other people quietly cast into the lake, hooking an occasional Pike and quietly netting a 5 pounder or so. There would be sometimes 15 people in that 100 yard stretch of Lake.
No matter, the guy would go on, and on. All I could do was shake my head as though I was visiting some kind of incomprehensible Psychiatric Ward.

Well, gratefully, we've got dogs, which are often happy, logical, and sensible and maybe the cats also,
because they will either sniff around or lay down and quietly watch for something Finny.

--------------------------------

Now you have the story by Depenner of the Boaters. ROTFL!

Offer a few more stories if you can think of them.
runningfish likes this.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I don't call them knuckleheads, I call them uneducated bunch in fishing etiquette and probably in their lives also.

I've only been fishing for 6 years and this season is my first season fly fishing. However, I've had my fair share of this experience like the veterans here.
The kind of people here won't allow me to turn my back to look into my stuffs without someone stepping into my spot. If I hooked a fish, I'd better bringing it in quickly and quietly or else they'll invade my spot. They'll come to you asking how the fishing is, start a small chit chat and before you know it, they'll have their lines in the water in your spot without asking for your permission. Many of them think that since fish is started with the letter F, the F words will surely catch them, to have them around is like smelling a nasty fart, you can hear it and you can smell it too. No bueno.

It is more frustrating when I am fly fishing from the shore since, people WILL walk behind you, set a camp behind you, let their kids playing behind you, etc. A guy said to his friend that it was all about the presentation when I didn't catch any while he was catching a stocked trout jigging this meal worm using his $400 Gloomis ultra light spinning outfit. Hey, I can do that with my $99 shimano compre too.

One day, me, my co-worker and my boss (the greatest snob dry fly only ) were in a trout derby in local ponds. The boss got to the gate at 3am to get a good spot for us. We couldn't get to the spot we wanted since there were gazillion "fisherman" in that spot.
So, we walked to the very end of the pond where nobody was interested in. We only had about 15 ft to share our 6 spinning poles (2 poles/guy max).
around 9am, tow older fellows walked by us back and forth. Then the first guy walked between our poles and said " I'll just cast right straight out there" and the second guy said "yeah, me too". Me as the small guy of the three and with lack of a good sleep just couldn't let it slide and told the guy that we were fishing there. The 2 guys started with their profanity on the lack of area to fish and would asked for their gate fees back and walked away. Those guys would have their spots if they didn't come at 9 am with a plan to squeeze in.

Oh well, one rant of my chest now. Have a good day now.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

[QUOTE=brucerducer;561446]BusBus:

There is a small, reservoir here on Gov't Property, but it is opened each spring to the public who bother to get a documentation etc and agree to abide by the rules. It's a special place, because it has Pike in it. Huge Pike, some of them reaching 44" but it's all 100% Catch and Release. The lake is .... I dunno, a few acres maybe?

On more than one occasion, one fellow whom I recall, would show up, throw out his tackle (Artificial Only, De-Barbed Hooks) and start talking.

One could hear this fellow from 75 yards away, loudly exulting about
....(paraphrasing) "I'm telling you Dude, this ...ing Bass was ...ing enormous Man. I mean Dude, it must have been ...ing this ....ing big! So I got out my ...ing Rebel lure and ...ing cast it out into the ...ing Lake and ...ing Bam! Dude, he ...ing hit that lure so ...ing hard and I'm not ...ing kidding Dude .....etc.!"

Once, I was fishing below a dock, on that dock there was a guy who was slinging a 6 inch swim bait that had 3 treble 3/O hooks on it. The guy yelled to his guy asking him to join him. He said "Dude, come here after you finished your sandwich, the bass are hitting the swim bait hard". Well, I was fishing just below him for the last 20 minutes and never seen any splashes other than his 6 inches swim bait hitting the water.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

This is why you need a float tube?

The main reason I catch so many fish with my fly rod ........ is because I only fish places where the shore guys can't get to!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:24 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
This is why you need a float tube?

The main reason I catch so many fish with my fly rod ........ is because I only fish places where the shore guys can't get to!
That's next on my adgenda. Well, maybe a short 3w rod and reel first.

But I want to get a tube. I need to get over my fear of deep water first since I cannot swim and I get sort of petrified going into water more than 5-feet deep. But I am determined to get over that fear.

Maybe I will always wear my arm floaties!!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:01 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=depenner;561388]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
Hey BusBus,

Near us were a group with a boat with a large v-8 inboard, complete with open headers. This lake is between two sets of mountains and sound reverberates forever. So, this group would go flying around the lake for a bit, come back and have a few beers and go again. Nobody near them was enjoying this a bit. Finally, a couple people fire up the boat and take off. The come flying back in, clearly hoping to cut close to the beach and spray everybody. The guy makes his cut, the boat stalls, the backwave swamps the transom and the boat sinks in about 20 seconds. Everyone on the beach stands up and applauds as the guys swim to shore. This lake has a very quick drop-off. Apparently the boat ended up in about 50 feet of water. Still brings a smile to my face.

david
Sooo hear you (bad pun intended). Blue Creek boat launch on the Cowliz River in Southern Washington. These two clowns had been racing up/down the river the better part of the day. If you were a bank angler you'd better not be out deeper than your knees.

End game is they appeared to have been drinking and finally pull the boat up to the launch to pull same out. Back truck/trailer into the river and get boat on board. Pull forward to drain and the hand break gives it up with all that weight behind (appears nut case hadn't put the truck in 'Park') ... and she starts to roll backward to the river ...... Watching one guy trying to get the truck door open was a life experience ... for him and everyone else watching. KER-PLUNK, boat, trailer and truck.

Beach went NUTS!~!~!!!!

I can only imagine what it cost them to get that pulled out and repaired. For you who are not framilier with the river "Blue Creek" is just below the Hatchery.

Edit: Have no idea why the one sentence went to large print.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:20 PM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road

Bus Bus, I see guys like that all the time . They are probably the same guys that go to the pools with a net and 5 gal buckets after a stocking. There not sportsmen; probably not even real men, just louts. Were i live every once and awhile one will do something stupid with a rifle of shotgun and clean his gene pool out. I have learned to ignore them now that i'm 63.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

I believe that many fly fishers are stewards of the water. We do things we consider to be normal, things that make no sense to other fishers. So be it. I am a steward of the water and so are you. Sometimes we pay a price for it, but so be it. We see and feel differently than some people. We value our fishing resources onto the end of our lives.
My name is Paul and I am a steward of the water.
shimloom and yonder like this.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:47 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

With 50 years of fishing behind me I have faced all kinds of folks who don't seem to think much about being in your space, where you are fishing, and yes from other fishermen, who think it's a social sport, while your fishing.

I have yelled at people either while standing in a stream or in my bass boat who have no clue on fishing etiquette, social behavior or proprieties of conduct. Sometimes I have to say something because I just have to. Now that I am older and fish alone more often I just keep my mouth shut and move on. Idiots seem to be more common now and it's proves we are in a more self centered world where the individual believes they are entitled to whatever you have or your space. I am now off my soap box!

Craig
South Holston likes this.

Last edited by shimloom; 06-04-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:31 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Busbus.......let me first say that I admire you for maintaining your composure while dealing with those that may appear to be, shall we say......less fortunate in the ways of a sporting man's pursuit of trout. A true sporting gentleman is an asset to all who participate in this great sport, and also one who is worthy of his catch!! Secondly, if you ever find yourself in western North Carolina.....give me a shout....I will gladly put you on some fish....promise....thanks for posting.......

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 06-03-2013, 06:29 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Watching one guy trying to get the truck door open was a life experience ... for him and everyone else watching. KER-PLUNK, boat, trailer and truck.

I think there's a moral here;

Don't Sink and Drink.

Get a Designated Sinker?

Why not Float yer Boat if yer gonna Sink in the Drink? har har!