The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:29 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Rods/reels you've sold and regretted- others that you gladly sent packing..

Straight to the moral- don't sell cool fly fishing gear unless you have to, you'll regret it. Some of my regrets- what are yours-

Thomas and Thomas 9'6 10wt very cool rod. Sold the rod and the paired reel, a Lamson Litespeed #4. The reel was so/so, but I miss the rod.

Sage 6100RPL- This was a very fun steelhead rod, I had rod builder install a fighting butt. I traded this rod for a Sage 790RPL, which is lighter and I like the action. I kind of miss the 6wt but this doesn't sting too badly.

Sage 5200 Saltwater reel- very cool Abel-like reel, I'm an idiot....

Sage 707 reel- another very cool reel but I used the bajezus out it, used it as trade on an Abel, I sleep well after this trade..

Abel TR3, meh... neither here nor there, like the 707 I'm ok losing this one.

Marratt 3/4 reel- mmmm, pretty shiny gold reel. Traded off- kept locking up. Whoever got this little gem is likely still mad...

A whole truck load of Lamson LPs- heavy, cheap, indestructible. Did I mention heavy?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:51 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rods/reels you've sold and regretted- others that you gladly sent packing..

Missed:
Orvis Trout Bum 8' 4wt. - One of the best casting rods I have ever owned always hurts when I think about her.
Sage ZXL 8'6" 4wt. - Great fishing dry fly rod that handled everything I could throw at her.
Just sold a 9' 5wt. Sage Z-Axis that I will keep thinking about. Good thing I have two of them! My favorite rod of all time.

Not missed:
Scott S4 9'5wt. - Way to heavy and "dumb" feeling
Sage Z-Axis 10' 5wt. - Too much tip of a bouncy tip for my taste.
Sage 3850CF and Sage 2550 reels - Heavy reels that I sold to feed my addiction!

Randy
russellb likes this.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:59 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Re: Rods/reels you've sold and regretted- others that you gladly sent packing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
Missed:
Orvis Trout Bum 8' 4wt. - One of the best casting rods I have ever owned always hurts when I think about her.
Sage ZXL 8'6" 4wt. - Great fishing dry fly rod that handled everything I could throw at her.
Just sold a 9' 5wt. Sage Z-Axis that I will keep thinking about. Good thing I have two of them! My favorite rod of all time.

Not missed:
Scott S4 9'5wt. - Way to heavy and "dumb" feeling
Sage Z-Axis 10' 5wt. - Too much tip of a bouncy tip for my taste.
Sage 3850CF and Sage 2550 reels - Heavy reels that I sold to feed my addiction!

Randy

yep- I'd miss that ZXL too. Along with a Sage One 9' 9wt that I had the pleasure to chase redfish with, that ZXL made me tingly.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:22 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Hi guys, been a few months since I posted here.

Regret selling St Croix Avid 7'9" 3wt that was a great dry fly rod, it had a Ross Rhythm on it.

So glad I sold a TFO finesse 1wt. I love fishing 1wt rods but it had no backbone at all. I couldn't cast it more than 10 feet ( operator error is a contributing factor I'm sure )

Replaced the avid years later with a 7'6" ZXL 3wt and overpaid for a Ross rhythm just to get one back in the stable.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 06-01-2013, 11:24 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

missed- some dude got a nib lamson litespeed 4 as a office gift.
didn't fish, wanted 100.00 obo
another was a 1939 medalist that was listed for 25.00 buy it now
on the big auction site.

casey

ARFE
Old 06-02-2013, 12:45 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say that I regret letting any of my tackle go, but...

I owned a made in USA Powell LGA that was a two piece 10 foot 5 weight. It was a great nymphing stick. I broke the tip on it and sent it to Powell. It was replaced with a newer three piece version that was made offshore. The rod did not perform the same. I expected a slight difference due the ferruling, but it seemed like graphite blank was different.

I was glad to see that rod go. I was not phased by the loss because I had purchased a Sage XP which eventually got upgraded.

Was I sad to see the XP go? No. I replaced that with a Z-Axis which I still use today. Plus I sold the XP to one my best friends, and he still uses it.

Dennis
Old 06-02-2013, 02:59 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Two immediatly come to mind, both Sages. (Actually gave both rods away to kids I'd met on the river.) 7136-4 and the 8136-4, both original issue
brownies right off the production line.

Have purchased 'new/old' ones in the last few months. A real walk down memory line. The third was a 12'3" Anderson 8wt, Skagit head, sink tip and SpeyCo reel. Close young friend from (10+?) years back asked (a couple of months back) if 'Can I cast that?' For context, I'd taught him how to cast a 2hander a long time back.

Showed how to workwith a Skagit Head and he's totally in the grove minutes later. My Yellow Lab and I just went back to the beach and I had a couple of smokes, then took a nap. Nate's banging them out better than I was. He had to 'aim' down stream as he'd have been in the trees across the river.

Man in his 'element?' The 'rod/rig and the Guy?'

Fishing a few day later and brought the rod tube; he had fun. End of day and I asked him to break down the rod and put sections in the cloth/tube. And handed the tube/reel/line to him and 'It's yours.'

Bluster-bluster ... 'But I can't!!??'

'Son, I'm just short of 71 and you're going to get this rod in my Will; or you can take it now.' That was a statement, not a question.

fae
Old 06-02-2013, 05:46 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Two immediatly come to mind, both Sages. (Actually gave both rods away to kids I'd met on the river.) 7136-4 and the 8136-4, both original issue
brownies right off the production line.

Have purchased 'new/old' ones in the last few months. A real walk down memory line. The third was a 12'3" Anderson 8wt, Skagit head, sink tip and SpeyCo reel. Close young friend from (10+?) years back asked (a couple of months back) if 'Can I cast that?' For context, I'd taught him how to cast a 2hander a long time back.

Showed how to workwith a Skagit Head and he's totally in the grove minutes later. My Yellow Lab and I just went back to the beach and I had a couple of smokes, then took a nap. Nate's banging them out better than I was. He had to 'aim' down stream as he'd have been in the trees across the river.

Man in his 'element?' The 'rod/rig and the Guy?'

Fishing a few day later and brought the rod tube; he had fun. End of day and I asked him to break down the rod and put sections in the cloth/tube. And handed the tube/reel/line to him and 'It's yours.'

Bluster-bluster ... 'But I can't!!??'

'Son, I'm just short of 71 and you're going to get this rod in my Will; or you can take it now.' That was a statement, not a question.

fae
For lack of a better word...AWESOME!

Regrets; a few...but hands down the worst is selling a 3 5/8" circa 1980 Hardy Perfect and spare spool with DOUBLE case and CREAM agate line guard in MINT condition...thought I needed the $$
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:57 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Havent sold any I regret yet.

Sold an 8wt St Croix reign for almost what I paid for it after a year, pretty dang pleased with that. gave my other Reign to a buddy to get him into the sport, also feel good about that.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-02-2013, 08:55 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I have been thinning my rod collection the past few years to upgrade. I sold 5wt ZXL and 6wt XP to get a 5wt I had to have. Absolutely no regrets after casting the new one. Also sold an older Orvis rod/reel setup to get another 4wt I really wanted. I almost did make a mistake that I would have regretted. I put up my very first rod and reel. It was an Orvis Rocky Mountain 5wt with the Orvis click and pawl reel. Had somebody look at it, but I really started feeling guilty and was relieved when he said he did not want it. They are now "retired" and sit next to my fly tying desk.

Lately I have been selling stuff from other hobbies that have taken a back seat to fishing. Sold all of my reloading equipment to help pay for a spey rod, and just sold much of my dog training equipment for a new vise. No regrets on any of that as I went off the deep end with fishing about 10y ago so the other stuff was collecting dust.