The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 10:22 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default An EPIC Trip To The Bighorn with Mcnerney; picture report.

About a month ago, an opportunity arose to go to Wyoming to do my first ever float trip with a member of the forum, the man, the myth, the legend, Larry Mcnerney. Of course I couldn't pass up a chance to fish some of Wyoming's premier trout water. Larry said his boat would easily accommodate two fishers, so I got a hold of my friend Rod to see if he wanted to come along. He couldn't pass up the opportunity either. On May 29th Rod drove 400 miles from Council Bluffs Iowa to Sidney Nebraska to pick me up. From Sidney we drove another 400 miles to Thermopolis Wyoming where we would be fishing the Bighorn River. The next morning the adventure began. It started out sunny and warm out, but looks can be deceiving. This is where Rod and I learned our first lesson; do not leave wading jackets in the pickup. It rained almost all day the first day, but the fishing was phenomenal. The next day it was overcast, and again the fishing was amazing. On the third and last day, it was sunny and the fishing seemed to slow down, but we still managed to catch several fish. The scenery and size of fish in the Bighorn is absolutely breathtaking. An average size fish was around the 18" mark. To top it off, we didn't have to fight with a bazillion guide boats, we only seen 10 boats the whole trip.

We primarily used double nymph rigs and streamers the whole trip. San Juan worms were very productive, as were stonefly and BWO nymphs, and pine squirrel leaches. Rod fished the heck out of his 8'3" Steffen 5/6 paired with a Hardy Bougle 3 1/4" reel the whole trip. I fished my 8'6" Steffen 5/6 the first day, then the Epic 686 loaner rod that Cameron from TFM sent me for the last two days. On both rods I used a Ross RR3 with SA GPX WF6F line. I was pleasantly surprised with the Epic. It is a step faster than the Steffen, while still feeling and bending like glass. It has a lot of backbone and a stronger tip giving it the ability to throw a mean line. Larry used a Sage One 590 and Z Axis 790. Holy **** can he cast. Probably the best caster I have EVER seen in person.

Larry could also live to about 400 years old and not even come close to making a dent in his flies. Heck, he could open up shop and never run out lol!
If you ever have a chance to fish with Larry, do not pass it up!

I'll let the pictures and brief videos tell the story in no particular order. Took TONS of pics, here a just a few.

Larry, his boat, and I.
Click the image to open in full size.

Me and a SWEET brown.

Rain Rain Rain.

Soaked.

Rods first brown EVER.

Rod giving the Steffen 5/6 a workout.

Larry with a fish on.

My first fatty of day 3.

Underwater shot.

Larry with a nice bow.

Another fatty.

Red rocks.

My BURNT face with a nice bow.

A bow Larry caught.

Pics continued on another thread: An EPIC Trip To The Bighorn with Mcnerney; Continued..
Old 06-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An EPIC Trip To The Bighorn with Mcnerney; picture report.

Chase

You and Rod made the whole trip memorable! I had a fantastic time, you guys can fish with me anytime! Nice work on the videos and photos!

Larry

Old 06-03-2013, 10:40 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Fantastic chased... thanks for sharing.

I love the swallows working the river in that second video... very cool.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 06-03-2013, 10:48 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I forgot to mention that the swallows were going NUTSSSS on the overcast days. That was truly a sight to behold. I told Larry that we should have been using swallow imitations instead of little nymphs and streamers lol.

Chase
Old 06-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Great report chased!

I can second that Larry is a great guy to be on the river with, he's a "class act".
imxer likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great report chased!
looks like a great time had by all
oh, and love that ross reel you have....
whats the glass? rod you have it on?

casey

ARFE
Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
I forgot to mention that the swallows were going NUTSSSS on the overcast days. That was truly a sight to behold. I told Larry that we should have been using swallow imitations instead of little nymphs and streamers lol.

Chase
Pretty tough life if you're a mayfly... you manage to finally lift off the water and escape the trout, only to be attacked by squadrons of swallows.

Question: What camera did you take those underwater shots (and video) with?

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 06-03-2013, 11:17 PM

I really love the original Ross R Series reels. I have the whole set, minus the elusive 3.5. I have got rid of almost all of my graphite sticks and went to fiberglass rods. The yellow one in the picture is a Swift Epic 686. They are relatively new on the market. Cameron from The Fiberglass Manifesto sent it to me to try. It the fastest glass on the market as far as I know, but it still retains the casting abilities, fish on feel, and properties of fiberglass. It is a real cannon of a rod. I can definitely see one in my future.

-Chase

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

A majority of the pics were with the Nikon AW110. I am very pleased with it. I leave it on "easy auto mode" and let it do its magic. None of the pics or videos are edited. They were left as they came off the camera. A few of the pics were with Rod's iPhone and several were with Larry's Pentax. I really wish I would have got more underwater video and pictures...

Chase
caseywise and stenacron like this.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:29 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Both threads are awesome, you guys caught some real nice fish!

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-05-2013, 11:20 PM

codym is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: An EPIC Trip To The Bighorn with Mcnerney; picture report.

wish I could of been there lol instead of catching 8in bows at the mile