The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 AM

zum will become famous soon enough
Default which patterns

Coming from a conventional fishing background,I'm looking for a fly that has a longer,narrow profile,that is fished top water(mimics fluke).
I use a 7wt rod,so a bigger fly is okay.
Been using smimming frog,poppers and sneaky pete type flies but the ones I have bought(online) need some more length to them.
Thinking something with a light foam head and feathers.
I don't mind deer hair either but the bass and pickerel,make a mess of the fly in a hurry.
I might even shave the head down abit on a popper so it will slide through the water.Thats more or less a sneaky pete though?
Guess I'll have to start buying tying equipment.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:54 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: which patterns

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a pencil popper. Long slender profile. Here is a picture of one courtesy of J+M Flies. It is just the body. Feathers/rubber legs still need to be added to the back.

Click the image to open in full size.

-Chase
Old 06-03-2013, 04:56 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

For long and skinny and topwater, the Double Gurgler by Jack Gartside comes to mind. I though I had a photo handy but don't, search his name to find his website and it has a great SBS. It's been a very productive fly for me. For a big fly I'll use a 2/0 bass hook and it ends up around 5 -6 inches.

That's the great thing about tying your own, you can customize your flies to the conditions and situations you face.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:09 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Zum, the 2 fly types that come to mind for me when thinking "flukes" is a Seaducer, and a rabbit strip eel. The primary problem is the fur & feathers have far more motion to them than plastic, so you can get a very active fly, with similar movement, but not exactly the same.

A heavily hackled Seaducer, with no additional weight added can be used near the surface, but it would sink at an extremely slow rate, if you needed to get it down some. Something that's much easier to do with plastic baits. This type of fly tied with long saddle hackle in the tail would be close to using a fluke.

The rabbit strip type flies also have a lot of motion, and can be made quite long.
(I use up to 14" fluke type lures for Striped bass). I've tied such flies up to about 10" in length, but 5 to 8" length is easier to cast, particularly after they get wet.
I also use a 10 wt for this type of fly.

Either of these could work. However, if you wish to use them as a topwater, a head of some type would be needed. Think in terms of "Bob's Bangers", ( Bob Popovics) with a removable foam or cork head. A variety of heads ( diameter & length) would allow for adjusting to get the action the way you want it.

I've done similar with foam cylinders, sold for fly tying, and with wine bottle corks or larger bottle stoppers. Foam works the best, but cork can be obtained cheap sometimes.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 AM

zum will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies.
That double gurgler is something I want to try for sure,seaducer as well.
Wish there was a place around here,that had these bigger flies or even bass/pickerel type flies for sale.Most people target brookies,father in law looks at my bass flies and laughs,wondering what they are.
I'll see if someone can tie me some around here or off to the internet I go looking.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:58 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Both the seaducer and gurgler are relative eazy to tie and use some of the same materials. They both can be tied on long shank hooks or short and they both use hackle. You can get some strung neck hackle in your prefered colors. White with a red head is good for the seaducer. The gurgler also uses hackle and some craft foam. These would both be good flies to start tying. These flies are quite popular so are easy to find on the net it that is what you decide. I would personally recommend thay you start tying your own. A moderate priced vise such as a DanVise and a $10 ceramic bobbin and a spool of each white and black thread in 3/0 for large flies. I usually use 6/0 which is smaller and some way to cut the thread and a bottle of clear finger nail polish and you are in business. The internet is your friend for learning to tie each pattern. Both of these patterns are classics. The seaducer has been catching fish since at least the 40's if I am not mistaken. The gurglers history is not quite as long. Probably the 60's or 70's but not sure. They will work as well in the salt as well as sweet water.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:31 PM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

I think what your looking for is an articulated fly pattern or some type of a tube fly. Here are a few examples that i think you would like:

A White, Chain Reaction Leech which is an articulated fly.

The Floating Minnow, which is kinda its own concoction.

Here's a link that shows you how to tie the floating minnow, step-by-step: http://www.jackgartside.com/step_floating_minnow.hth
Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Not sure it would help, but I have kept rabbit fur strip flies hanging on the surface by tying 1/8 foam on the top of the shank. White zonker strip on the underside of the and olive on over the foam and just slightly longer than the white. Trick is to use contact adhesive to bond the two zonker strips togeather.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbilly View Post
For long and skinny and topwater, the Double Gurgler by Jack Gartside comes to mind. I though I had a photo handy but don't, search his name to find his website and it has a great SBS. It's been a very productive fly for me. For a big fly I'll use a 2/0 bass hook and it ends up around 5 -6 inches.

That's the great thing about tying your own, you can customize your flies to the conditions and situations you face.
did you mean? Tying the Double Gurgler
Old 06-05-2013, 04:19 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by argail View Post
That's the one. Now that I look at the SBS again, one thing I've done lately is instead of using two pieces of foam I found some thicker foam and use that. So maybe it's a "thick gurgler" instead of a "double gurgler".