The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 05:53 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing etiquette! Do people have any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post
Is there any?
Yes there is. Many people have good etiquette. There are some who cross lines out of ignorance as well as others who don't seem to have any at all. The problem is, the latter group tends to be the most visible.

Engaging people like that is usually a waste of time. Very few rude people are teachable in the moment. It hard to change their behavior but easy to be brought down to their level. Tough remember when they are interfering with good fishing.

Nice fish by the way.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:17 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

So true Guys, and at the core of it all, is that if we really start talking to people when we are there to fish, or try to educate, after they turn a private event into a media circus, we just aren't fishing anymore, but interacting with the crowd and coping with the intense emotions we fish to avoid.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:40 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
So true Guys, and at the core of it all, is that if we really start talking to people when we are there to fish, or try to educate, after they turn a private event into a media circus, we just aren't fishing anymore, but interacting with the crowd and coping with the intense emotions we fish to avoid.
You said it. I guess I am really spoiled here in Atlantic Canada. I only truly enjoy myself when I am by myself fishing. There are enough creeks, streams, ponds,and rivers here, where you can pretty much not see a soul all day. It really would turn to something else when the above occurs. I'd say time to move on. I'd rather fish nice waters alone with no bites then crowded rude waters with bites. Just me though. Lovely big bow there in the OP.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

If you can stand to have it stuck in your face, a good cigar is a wonderful thing for occasions like that.

Our streams here are mostly combat waters, where you are fishing shoulder to shoulder and the bait huckers dont like the fly fishermen much. So a simple cigar solves that problem. For one, most people dont want to be close to you from the smell, even though I think they are wonderful. Secondly, when they start to purposly cast across your line or tangle you up, you say i'll take care of it, pull the line in and when you are untangling it, just "accidently" bump there line with the end of the cigar. It will burn it right off and problem is solved for the next 5 minutes while they tie on a new hook and bait.

It sucks but thats just the way we have to do it here. Also very loss loops will generally get people out of the way.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road

I was fishing upstream and had NUMBER OF FISH RISING just below a small foot bridge hat crossed the creek when along comes a kid about 10 or 11 years old who starts to fish off the bridge and drifting his fly down stream towards me which means I got to stand there and stare at him and it did not seem to faze him.

The point of the story his his father was standing next to him on the bridge and did not seam to have enough common sense to tell the kid that what he was doing was exactly the wrong thing to do. The old man just watched the kid. I guess if you start training them young to be totally to be IGNORANT, then that is what you are going to get from them when they grow up. Obviously the father learned his lesson well from his father.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:44 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post

The wife and I went out fishing to a stocked pond...
There's the source of your problems. At least, that was my experience back in PA... where ever those white trucks go, "issues" soon follow.
FrankB2, shotgunfly and busbus like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 06-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
There's the source of your problems. At least, that was my experience back in PA... where ever those white trucks go, "issues" soon follow.
Joe's right, I avoid "stocked ponds" due to the type of people it attracts and the issues you have described.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by half fast View Post
I've seen this sort of thing while fishing. Interestingly, when I go dove hunting at one of the state fields it's completely opposite. Everyone is courteous, everyone leaves plenty of room for the other folks, and everyone helps each other out when it comes to spotting a downed bird or whatever. Great camaraderie, all the shooters are friendly and pleasant.

Somehow loaded shotguns seem to make everyone much more polite. Maybe you could try toting a 12ga on your next fishing trip.....?
Haha didn't see your last line until I began typing. I was going to say, I think I'd be a little more courteous to someone holding a firearm than a fly rod.

I never give people the fish I catch, but I always just say something simple like: "I'm sorry, I try to release everything I catch." Most people get it. If they have something to say past that, than so do I.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 AM

South Holston will become famous soon enough

Do people have etiquette? Same as real life some do, most don't.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fishing etiquette! The positive side.

While I tend to avoid others when I'm fishing, sometimes that's not possible.

10 days ago, I took my 9-yr-old granddaughter back to a stream I had fished earlier in the day.

It's a stocked stream. There were a few fisherman there. They couldn't have been nicer. As we were leaving, one even asked if we minded if he took her spot (she had hooked 8 and landed 4 rainbows there).

So, yes, sometimes there is real fishing etiquette out there.
kglissmeyer1, williamhj and busbus like this.