The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 12:34 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all
Default Re: Fishing etiquette! Do people have any?

what a hot topic
after these fishermen-woman someone will need to collect the garbage (cans of corns, bags & etc.) if you do not, nobody does it
between fly-anglers sometime also there is no respect...
love flyfish in wild places, nobody around, you & nature!
Hardyreels and nick k like this.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road

Perhaps the worst form of bad etiquette is when guides with clients in tow disrespect other anglers. Last year, I was on the Dream Stream in Colorado, minding my own business, enjoying some dry fly action, and all of the sudden out of nowhere, a guide and 4 clients completely top-holed me, about 50 feet upstream, above where my casts were. The guide didn't even acknowledge my existence, but interestingly, one of the clients did. I was forced out, reeled up, and off the next spot I went. Maybe that is a tactic I'm not familiar with by some guides.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:13 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

On an uncrowded stream or lake if someone crowds me I walk away. If I find myself working in another angler's direction, I go around...way around.

On a stream or lake where anglers are "spaced out" (no, not like that...) I try to talk with people, asking if I'm disturbing them...and I walk away a lot.

I came close to hooking a child on a back cast once and that lesson stayed with me. I'm whipping a dangerous article in the air and have a responsibility to be careful...so I make sure it's safe to fish before starting up.

The idea of putting a fly in the air near someone on purpose sounds like assualt to me.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:42 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Holston View Post
Gretchin Beaty told me she was fishing and a guy came right in on her. She put on a big heavy weighted woolly bugger and hit him in the back of the head with it." I am sorry, you know us girls can't cast."
HAH, in my waters I frequent on the tribs of Lake Huron (Canada side)....float rodders are my bane. As I have vented many times here about...crowding, rude, polluters, as#clowns, etc....seems the common thread running through these sect of 'fishers'.

To the point of the quote....for the most part, while I normally am not spey/2 hand casting.....with my 10' single hander, I can usually pick up all the line and lay out without false casing (nymph fishing). When I start to feel crowded....not only to I false cast MUCH MORE....I become erratic and 'apologize' for my 'rookie-ness'....while ensuring i get a wide berth to fish 'my' wedge of water.

King Joe Outa Here!