The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 12:34 PM

argail has much to be proud ofargail has much to be proud ofargail has much to be proud ofargail has much to be proud ofargail has much to be proud ofargail has much to be proud ofargail has much to be proud ofargail has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fishing etiquette! Do people have any?

what a hot topic
after these fishermen-woman someone will need to collect the garbage (cans of corns, bags & etc.) if you do not, nobody does it
between fly-anglers sometime also there is no respect...
love flyfish in wild places, nobody around, you & nature!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road

Perhaps the worst form of bad etiquette is when guides with clients in tow disrespect other anglers. Last year, I was on the Dream Stream in Colorado, minding my own business, enjoying some dry fly action, and all of the sudden out of nowhere, a guide and 4 clients completely top-holed me, about 50 feet upstream, above where my casts were. The guide didn't even acknowledge my existence, but interestingly, one of the clients did. I was forced out, reeled up, and off the next spot I went. Maybe that is a tactic I'm not familiar with by some guides.
ejsell likes this.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:13 PM

mikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant futuremikel has a brilliant future

On an uncrowded stream or lake if someone crowds me I walk away. If I find myself working in another angler's direction, I go around...way around.

On a stream or lake where anglers are "spaced out" (no, not like that...) I try to talk with people, asking if I'm disturbing them...and I walk away a lot.

I came close to hooking a child on a back cast once and that lesson stayed with me. I'm whipping a dangerous article in the air and have a responsibility to be careful...so I make sure it's safe to fish before starting up.

The idea of putting a fly in the air near someone on purpose sounds like assualt to me.
Hardyreels and littledavid123 like this.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:42 AM

king joe has a spectacular aura aboutking joe has a spectacular aura aboutking joe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Holston View Post
Gretchin Beaty told me she was fishing and a guy came right in on her. She put on a big heavy weighted woolly bugger and hit him in the back of the head with it." I am sorry, you know us girls can't cast."
HAH, in my waters I frequent on the tribs of Lake Huron (Canada side)....float rodders are my bane. As I have vented many times here about...crowding, rude, polluters, as#clowns, etc....seems the common thread running through these sect of 'fishers'.

To the point of the quote....for the most part, while I normally am not spey/2 hand casting.....with my 10' single hander, I can usually pick up all the line and lay out without false casing (nymph fishing). When I start to feel crowded....not only to I false cast MUCH MORE....I become erratic and 'apologize' for my 'rookie-ness'....while ensuring i get a wide berth to fish 'my' wedge of water.

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 08-14-2016, 10:04 PM

802flyfish has a spectacular aura about802flyfish has a spectacular aura about802flyfish has a spectacular aura about

Some people have no respect. For the most part, guides I've encountered in Colorado are pretty good about giving people space. I've ran into countless people on the Blue River where someone would walk right where my flies were being drifted. Or after catching a few fish, people would hop into my pool and fish beyond me or right next to me. Deep down inside I want to scream at the top of my lungs or start hurling rocks, but I never do. I've been yelled at one I think? I was 30-40 yards down river of these two people, who were fishing the other direction. One yelled towards me, but I couldn't tell if he was trying to tell me something or telling me to give them space.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:26 AM

rsagebrush is just really nicersagebrush is just really nicersagebrush is just really nicersagebrush is just really nice

When it gets like that find new water or do something else, you will save yourself a lot of aggravation.

If you go to stocked water (especially recently stocked) expect crowds of the rude and clueless; try to enjoy the show, or better yet, don't go there in the first place, I mean really what would you expect.

The thing about public water is it is well, public, and a lot of the public are rather doltish or grasping types.

I don't know where you folks fish but I am rarely bothered by other fishermen. A short hike, I mean like 500 feet generally gets you the solitude you were looking for.

I detest it when a guide shows up on a stream with 4 client's, I walk in the other direction generally. Besides he's not much of a guide to begin with taking on that many duffers.

The worst are the tubers/kayaks and such like, but they are naturally witless about these things; go somewhere else or just let them go by. If you fish early you will not see them, if you fish late you will not see them. Basically just during bankers hours.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:24 AM

patrick62 has a spectacular aura aboutpatrick62 has a spectacular aura about

I almost got rammed by two nitwits in a canoe on the Farmington once. I was standing in a riffle and intent on what I was doing, and didn't hear a thing. Only because i caught something in my peripheral vision did I turn around and see these twits in a canoe, frantically paddling to miss me.

Which they did, by about two feet, and only because I moved.

I said to them "Hey, you want to yell or something when you're about to hit me?"

They just stared at me.

Perhaps they were shape-shifting Lizard People from another galaxy and unfamiliar with our ways.

Either that or morons.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:57 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going with Morons; amazing what I've seen on rivers, both good and bad. Serious stupid to totally insane; people just don't get it through there heads that moving water doesn't care about your 'safety,' that's up to you.

fae
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:14 PM

plecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud of

Other than one heavily stocked place where I know I'll have lots of company, I just about never see anyone else.

This year I've seen somewhere between 7 and 10 others fishing. Three of those were at a different stocked river.

I've never had an angry encounter, either. I've seen cases where I was sure someone was going to get himself in a world of hurt, but nothing angry.

Just lucky, I guess.
hairwing530 likes this.

Paul
Old 08-15-2016, 02:41 PM

tex will become famous soon enough

Whenever I have only an hour or two to fish, I hit the local bluegill pond. There are people at this place throwing 6" swimbaits for crying out loud. I lob out a small pheasant tail and get a fish a cast. Every time I hook up, the same thing happens, everyone swarms around me (as if the only fish in the pond are right in front of me). I just walk to the other side and lob out the fly again. Next decent fish and these monkeys come running. We keep this up until its time to go home
jpbfly, hairwing530 and yikes like this.