The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 02:12 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about
Default Fishing etiquette! Do people have any?

Is there any? Apparently not where we go fishing. I read the post this morning Why do people have to be knuckleheads? and we had a similar thing happen. The wife and I went out fishing to a stocked pond as the rivers are high and very dirty in my opinion and its run-off. We came up to the pond at about 8:30 am and picked a nice quiet spot away from everyone. There were quite a few people around the entire pond. We started fishing next to one another and within minutes we were hooked into fish as others looked on 1,2,3, 4 fish and we were having a blast. Slowly people started merging towards us and set up shop next to us. There was not much room behind us to cast and now we had people walking in behind us trying to see what we were using and the fish that we were catching.

I ended up casting, trying to be careful and some lady walked right behind me and I hooked onto her scarf. We went from nobody around us to about 20 people right where we were fishing in a matter of minutes. The woman had the nerve to tell me to watch what I am doing. I responded back with a "you should watch where you walk" she did not like that too much. By now nobody has caught anything and my wife and I are the only ones fly fishing and catching fish and "in the way" of others as we are in the water with our waders on. Soon enough people started throwing their bait and spin reel lines on top of ours and getting us tangled up. We also released most of the fish we caught, we kept a few for us, the people were getting so mad and asking us to give them the fish instead of putting it back. I just smiled and said I guess you have to learn how to fish to get the prize and work for it.

By no means was it a snobby comment but a few people took offense and we just decided it was best to leave that area. By now everyone has set up in the same location as us and the rest of the pond was empty. We walked over to the other side and started fishing again and hooked into a few fish. By no means are we experts we have been fly fishing for about a year now and we had a heck of time. We ended up catching 52 fish and making just as many people mad by releasing them back. We did not let it get to us but people seemed to just flock to where we were. I ended up catching a large fish and one woman was trying to talk us down by saying she hates large fish and that they are no fun. Well I had a heck of a time and here is a few photos during the day. I had a wonderful time and I did not let any of it get to us as I was spending time with someone I love doing something we both love.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

This rainbow was released from a hatchery I am guessing they used it for spawning. Either way it was a fun fish to catch it was 10lbs and 26.5"
mcnerney, baseman1, argail and 2 others like this.

Last edited by 1move; 06-03-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:35 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fishing etiquette! Do people have any?

Exact thing seems to happen in the lakes and ponds I fish. It annoys the heck out of me. Anyways, that is a beast of a Bow. Look at the shoulders on that thing!!!

-Chase
Old 06-03-2013, 02:52 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

This is a tough call.

Generally, when others show up I just leave. At my age (66), I don't need the aggravation. I know lots of places to fish. In most of those places, it's rare to see anyone else, ever.

I know it's tough to leave a favorite, or like this, great, spot. Each of us needs to make the call for himself.

When I read posts like this, I am just amazed at the ignorance of some of these so-called 'sportsman'. You couldn't hold a gun to my head and get me to horn in on someone's spot.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:53 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

People seem to want to get right on top of you when you catch fish. Seen it on streams, lakes and the ocean. I have told a number of people over the years that if they get on top of my spot I will keep snagging their lines until they leave.

I have thrown lures at other boats if they get to close as well, and that can start a conversation. It seems people who can't fish find those who can. I have had several people ask me for my fish when I release them, I simply tell them to learn to fish and they can catch there own, that sends them on their way, most times. I have grown tired of the buttheads of this world and the nonsense.

Craig
shotgunfly, 1move and busbus like this.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:08 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

What strikes me the most was the attitude and ignorance of not giving a **** about other people. 4 guys ran over when I caught the big one and while we were taking pictures they threw their lines right into the place where I pulled this guy from. I asked them to leave as my rod was right there and a bunch of other stuff and they shifted a bit and kept going into the same area. I was debating if I should start throwing rocks in there to scare the fish just because I was so mad. Honestly it was like a cartoon, they ran over with their little buckets and setup shop. It was ridicules to say the least and sad at the same time. You can see in one of the photos of the culprit with a chair, he was there within seconds of me catching that fish.

It is truly sad that some people have no connection to nature or humanity.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:29 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
People seem to want to get right on top of you when you catch fish. Seen it on streams, lakes and the ocean. I have told a number of people over the years that if they get on top of my spot I will keep snagging their lines until they leave.

I have thrown lures at other boats if they get to close as well, and that can start a conversation. It seems people who can't fish find those who can. I have had several people ask me for my fish when I release them, I simply tell them to learn to fish and they can catch there own, that sends them on their way, most times. I have grown tired of the buttheads of this world and the nonsense.

Craig
We have these lures on the North Carolina coast called "Gotcha Plugs!!" I am sure you have them also.......I never really figured out the gotcha thing.......is it for the fish, or the boats???? Just saying........anyway.....I know how frustrating it can be........

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

How about the people who walk into your fishing line at the coast, and get mad, because they are so..........unobservant????
plecain likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 06-03-2013, 03:35 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

I've seen this sort of thing while fishing. Interestingly, when I go dove hunting at one of the state fields it's completely opposite. Everyone is courteous, everyone leaves plenty of room for the other folks, and everyone helps each other out when it comes to spotting a downed bird or whatever. Great camaraderie, all the shooters are friendly and pleasant.

Somehow loaded shotguns seem to make everyone much more polite. Maybe you could try toting a 12ga on your next fishing trip.....?

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:37 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

The word Etiquette is hard to spell that makes not many people want to learn it.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:48 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Somehow loaded shotguns seem to make everyone much more polite.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life". -- Robert A. Heinlein
yonder and kicker19 like this.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:04 PM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road

I was fishing my favorite stretch of river last year, during a big spinner fall, 30 minutes before dark. The dream hour. Anyways, there were fisherman stretched out about every 50-100 yards, in this pretty small river, 15-25 feet wide, 1-3 feet deep tops. You had a spot & everyone seemed to be respecting where you set up shop. From up river some clod comes dregging down the middle of the river RIGHT THREW everyones fishing spots ON his way back to the lodge about 1/2 mile down river.

Now, when he got to me, I stopped him cold & directed him off the river & to the path that made its way TO HIS destination. He was like, "can't I just walk past you, I won't get in your way?" & I simply told him, "I'm fishing these fish, you come by me & those fish are leaving, please take the path." Some people, not all people, are disrespectful, clueless, & selfish.