The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By stimulator2
  • 3 Post By yonder
  • 2 Post By JoJer
  • 1 Post By brucerducer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 02:36 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Good start painful ending

It was my weekend with my daughter and as usual she just wanted to stay in the house and look at herself in the mirror,apperently at 13 this is what teenage girls do now instead of enjoying fresh air at mine does. Ann my GF had to work so i thought up at 5:30 i'm going fishing for just a little bit,my daughter will be fine and has her lab libby in her room with her,hell i'll be back before she gets up.Get to the spot rig up walk to the water,first pool small rainbow, head of the pool and this 13 1/2" rainbow.
Click the image to open in full size.
I hooked a good brown but lost it ,hooked another good fish never even saw it ,caught several more fish,back home 9:30am what a morning ,daughter not even out of the bed.This is where i should have stop for the day but didn't.
Dad and I decided to replant potatoes,fertlize and plow them.All i'm wearing is shorts,t-shirt and crocs no socks don't mind dirt on my feet,got to the point of time to fertlize and need to put the spreader on the tractor,unhooking the tobacco setter that was on it and yep it fell on my foot hurt like hell.Then Sara my daughter decides to go to my moms which is fine.Ann comes home from work feeling bad wanting to lay down and i said the perfect thing for my foot is to put it in cold water.Light goes off in head FISHING yep going back .Ann decides to go and we get to the water and the fishing is great.She is feeling better catching fish ,my foot still hurts even in the water but it's been a great evening i tell her catch one more and we will go, one cast one fish, i tell her i got to try one more pool, two casts later and hung on a stick underwater, i wade out to get it,reach down and pain shoots through my thumb,pull my hand out to find a #14 prince nymph buried beside my thumbnail to the curve of the hook and yes it has a barb.Ann takes one look starts to turn green told her you are a CNA do not get sick over this.She says push it through but to much meat for that so suggests a trip to the ER.I say no and hook my hemostats to the hook shank ,took deep breath and yanked it out.It was a good fishing day but i could have done without the sore foot and thumb.
mcnerney, wannafish and baseman1 like this.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:49 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Good start painful ending

Yep.....you are tough...........way to take the pain.....on a side note,....what's your new found opinion of barbless hooks???? Just kiddin........hope you and GF are feeling better......
mcnerney, fredaevans and mizuno like this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 06-03-2013, 06:10 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Was that your prince nymph or are you complaining about getting a free fly? No pleasing some folks.
raindogt and williamhj like this.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 06-03-2013, 06:39 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

"..and hook my hemostats to the hook shank ,took deep breath and yanked it out."---Stimulator2

Well all right! You're my kind of man! Better than messing around in an Emergency Room.

Guts! Glory! Ram! ----Sam Elliot, voice in the Dodge Commercials.

Remember the old cowboy movies, where the wounded guy drinks a good part of a bottle of Whiskey,
while some companion goes digging around in his chest with a hot Bowie Knife for a chunk of lead from a .44 or better?

yonder likes this.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:04 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

gotta take the good with the bad, the hook really sucks tho. Hope it gets better soon.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Shannon: Sounds like a great day on the water despite the foot and thumb!

Larry
Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
"..and hook my hemostats to the hook shank ,took deep breath and yanked it out."---Stimulator2

Well all right! You're my kind of man! Better than messing around in an Emergency Room.

Guts! Glory! Ram! ----Sam Elliot, voice in the Dodge Commercials.

A few years back I had to do just exactly that; #4 x fly hook. No way could I screw my hand around to get that damned thing out. Off we go, had to show the ER Doctor's how to extract same and thank God for insurance. That little fiasco cost SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS!
Old 06-04-2013, 03:00 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

It's feeling better the thumb is and it was my nymph.The foot is still sore but weather permitting i'll be on the water this weekend,if i have to drag it.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Business Member

South Holston will become famous soon enough

The mono loop around the bend of the hook and give a quick jerk , works well. I've used it on myself several times.
Take the butt section of your leader.. wrap it around the bend of the hook..Push the eye of the hook down just a little.. getting the same angle the hook went in.. then give a quick jerk.. it will hardly leave a red spot..
Barbless is great.. if you loose a fish or two , so what.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:43 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Yep, the mon loop is the way to go as long as the hook isn't embedded in you eye or something along those lines.

This is something you should know how to do, you never know when you might need it. Here's a quick video demoing the technique -

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo