The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By chechem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 11:25 PM

sclark is on a distinguished road
Smile Going on a month long fly fishing trip where to go?

Hi, New member here, and going out fly fishing with the wife ( Yes! She's a beginner, but loves it!).

We are heading out for a month long trip and leaving our home in Lodi, Calif. the day after July 4th. We are traveling in our trailer and can be pretty much self-contained for a week or so at a time. We also have a small 14 ft aluminum boat and an electric motor up on top of the truck.

We are looking for some advice, recommendations and suggestions from the group out there as to where to make some of our fishing stops. We do favor streams, creeks, and small rivers, but are open to all suggestions.

The current plan is to drive hard through Nevada to Idaho southern east corner, and then we’ll start throwing flies about there. Then on into Wyoming's northwestern corner (Yellowstone) and up into Montana's south western corner.

After that, we’ll head up north and back through Montana's, Missoula City area, then west through mid northern Idaho down Hwy 95 to just above Boise and into Oregon again at Payette.

In order to not drive too long, go west on Hwy 20 to Riley turning on to 395 going south down into Northern California and over to Hat Creek area and then over to the McCloud River. From there it’s about a 4.5 to 5 hr push home.

Looking forward to your responses…

Steve
Old 06-04-2013, 11:30 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default re: Going on a month long fly fishing trip where to go?

South Fork of the Boise below Anderson Dam. google it
Old 06-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Steve

Welcome to the forum!
While you are in SE Idaho, I'd make sure to swing by Silver Creek Preserve for a little challenge of spring creek fishing.
http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives...directions.pdf

I'd also recommend a float on the South Fork of the Snake near Swan Valley, ID. Your boat wouldn't be appropriate for that big of water but if the timing works maybe we could do a float together in my drift boat. If interested send me a PM.

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 06-05-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:46 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a heck of a trip, just don't kill a lot of it "behind the wheel." As an example from Medford, Oregon to Hamilton, MT you're talking right at 800 miles .... and a 16 hour drive even in a car. Just a couple of other observations: Fuel stops, on much of where your headed, are FEW AND FAR between. Plan accordingly as you watch your gas gauge.

The other thought is where you can 'stay' when you get to where-ever with your trailer. Do some serious research on this one. Local Chamber's of Commerce's can be a gold mine on getting this kind of information.

Fred
Old 06-05-2013, 11:37 AM

finisher will become famous soon enough

When you're near Boise, check out the Owyhee river just over the border in Oregon. Great Brown Trout fishing. Hope you have a great trip!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all
Default Re: Going on a month long fly fishing trip where to go?

I couldn't begin to give you advice o where to go, but enjoy the trip!

Welcome to the board!
Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Sell the trailer and boat. New Zealand.

Have fun!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing how you are headed for eastern ID, I'd also recommend hitting the Henry's Fork near Island Park, ID and since you have a small boat then a day on either/both Henry's Lake and Hebgen Lake. If you decide to hit the Henry's Fork or Henry's Lake, pickup a copy of Mike Lawson's book "Fly-Fishing Guide to the Henry's Fork" he goes into great detail the hatches to expect and flies he likes.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 AM

sclark is on a distinguished road

Hello again, Funny, I posted a reply before but its not here? What I said was, that you guy's have created a lot of homework for me!

It’s been a little time since I responded to everyone. We are still going on our trip and, at this time, it looks like we will leave Lodi, Calif. on the morning of July 8th and our new route is through Nevada. The first stop is Winnemucca, NV (about 6 hrs or so towing a trailer). From there the next goal is Hwy 93 to Twin Falls, ID, (about 6 hrs or so again towing a trailer), or a little past on HWY 36 east. That puts us around 5 hrs from Swan Valley.

How here is the dilemma, we have decided (maybe) to by-pass Silver Creek Preserve (As my wife is somewhat of the “beginner”). So, my first question tonight is: What opportunities are there, given her experience limitation) worth fishing between Twin Falls and Swan Valley? If they are only moderate, then we would rather push on to Swan Valley. Larry, it looks like I’ll be in your area around the 10th or 11th of July. I'll PM you in the next day or so.

The next question, does anyone know about the Federal campgrounds, or other, between Twin falls and say…American Falls? For that matter, at Swan valley? I am looking at the National Forest Campgrounds web sites.

Also, another change… We are not taking the 14ft boat. However we will be bringing two single person inflatable pontoon boats we have. Not fancy one’s, but since I’ve reworked them and they are now quite functional in slow rivers up to class II, and still water.

Steve

Last edited by sclark; 06-25-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Syntax