The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By silver creek
  • 2 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 11:41 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Project Healing Waters Followup

Several months ago, I wrote about donating flies to Project Healing Waters at the Ft. Belvior Marine Base and at the Quantico Marine Base. My friend, Bob Gartner runs the Ft. Belvior program and his cohort, Lally Laksbergs runs the Quantico PHW. They share all donations to either program.

Project Healing Waters

Bob sent me several articles about the PHW program and the new commander at Ft. Belvior.

If any of you have seen the movie, Battleship, you will recognize Col. Gregory Gadson, a double amputee who played the part of Lt. Col Mick Canales in the movie.

Click the image to open in full size.

Col. Gadson has taken over command of Ft. Belvior and is a PHW participant.

See the PHW newpaper article and photos below.

Project Healing Waters offers fishing experience - Belvoir Eagle: News

I ask you to consider tying a few flies next winter for a PHW in your area and if you don't have one, PM me and I will put you in touch with Bob Gartner.
imxer, rockriver and sweetandsalt like this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-07-2013, 01:54 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Project Healing Waters Followup

Thank you Silver for sharing this! It's a great cause
and I hope many more fly guys get involved!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-07-2013, 04:26 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Project Healing Waters Followup

SH IT! I have the flies I was going to send and lost the 'where' of the thread.

PM me a name/address!

Fred Evans
Old 06-07-2013, 09:01 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Bob Gartner wrote me:

"Everything we get goes to our Project Healing Waters programs. We would put them in fly boxes and distribute them to the soldiers and marines. My friend, Marty Laksbergs, the Program Lead for the Quantico Program, also helps me out by attending our Fort Belvoir meetings. Marty and I share everything we get and we do joint trips to save money."

You can read about their programs at

https://www.facebook.com/BelvoirPHW

https://www.facebook.com/QuanticoPHW

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 PM

Gary Borger returned from a PHW out of Ft Carson in Colorado Springs. I was stationed at Ft Carson for 2 weeks active duty as a medical officer while I was in the USAR in '74/75.

Jorden, of the PHW soldiers caught this hog on 4X tippet. Isn't it great to see a soldier smile?

mcnerney and theboz like this.

Silver

Old 06-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Silver: I dropped the ball on this also, I just ran out of time, but will contribute next winter. I sent 10 1/2 dozen flies to the Casper, WY PHW coordinator and another 10 1/2 dozen flies to the Rocky Mtn PHW director in Colorado Springs. After that I concentrated on the Wyoming Casting for Recovery gals, with the help of members here on the forum we sent them 27 dozen flies.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:09 PM

Larry,

I think you did more than your part.

Those PHW need flies too.

You have my thanks,

Silver.

Silver

Old 06-08-2013, 11:24 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

For those who Twit besides cast (which does not include me) the interactive person responsible for PHWFF Social Media wrote (in response to this thread):

"ALL PHWFF news stories, events, writeups, ongoing initiatives, etc are available via a daily live feed at www.twitter.com/PHWFF
people can also directly interact with national PHWFF here".
Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 AM

sgtgunner is on a distinguished road

I dont know about PHW. They seem to be like the VA, Wounded Warrior Project, Texas Vets Comission and other organizations Ive asked for help from. Guess they care about us who came back with injuries but still have all our limbs. Been ignored by them all. Oh well, getting use to being alone in this. Glad to see somebody can get help atleast.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-14-2013, 10:46 AM

I'm sorry to hear about that. My understanding is that PHW is part of the WWP.

My understanding of PHW is that many of their participants do not have missing limbs. In fact, the PHW event that Gary Borger did in Colorado was mainly composed of soldiers from Ft. Carson with PTSD.

Silver