The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 01:14 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default BIG Bug Boxes

Read a thread in here a while ago about boxes for big flies. Went digging around on a site I found via a link here and found these 'inexpensive, double sided sided boxes big enough to be effective without being cumbersome'. (Some modification required - add the foam.) Think they would be good for a boat, general storage or the extras that were tied up; not really vest-able.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
https://www.flambeaucases.com/index....details/6780TN

https://www.flambeaucases.com/index....details/6785TI
Old 06-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BIG Bug Boxes

Yes, I bought three of them from Joann's to store streamers. Buy some 3 mm foam and a can of spray adhesive and you will have a pretty nice fly box.....in my case I'm using them to store streamers.

Larry
Old 06-07-2013, 03:23 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I haven't been able to find them around here - hence the web search.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:22 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Joanns had them for like 50% off back around Xmas.. I grabbed 2 of them... 1 for big flies and the other is now my travel tying box
Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I have seen Larry's BIG boxes. They should be renamed "Meatlockers". These big boxes are definitely the way to go for storage and boat fishing.

Chase
Old 06-07-2013, 10:44 PM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about

For my Bass poppers and streamers I found just using a plano 3500 box works just fine I don't use too many sizes or patterns so one box holds a ton of flies
Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 AM

I currently have something similar. Bought a gear bag at Bass Pro with 4 3500-ish plano boxes in it and a few other pockets. Works very well. I just don't like the feather wings and tails getting all bent up.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:09 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I've been using softsided tackle bags for the past ten years or so to organize, store and transport large or extra flies. They work great. Very versatile.

This is a representaive sample -

Plano Medium Tackle Bag: Fishing & Marine : Walmart.com

I have several different models, they all seem to work well. I bought whatever was on clearance.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo