The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 02:13 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default A grim question

Ok folks,

When and if you do keep any of your fish (of any species), how you you dispatch it humanly?
Old 06-07-2013, 02:23 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: A grim question

I regularly keep fish to eat. I love fresh fish and how healthy it is.

I hit them over the head with a stick.

I think they use a different technique for big flounder and the likes...but for trout/bass/panfish/etc I just knock em over the head.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:41 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I toss them in a cooler full of ice & they die of frost bite!

Seriously, this may sound cruel, but it's never been a concern for me. If I can't put them in a live well, then ice it is.

I believe that should be "humanely". I guess humanly is what I do.
brucerducer likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

Jim,

You're right, LOL, my spelling needs work.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Cochise,

Ice is typically what I do for panfish, but for trout, I'm typically wading, I rarely keep trout, but for when I do I've started carrying a knife to put them down quick.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

A couple of whacks on the head with a rock usually does the trick for me.

In the old days, tweedy gentlemen always carried a tool called a "priest" for head bonking -- so named because it administered the last rites.

Fishing Priest in Fishing Accessories | eBay
fredaevans and noreaster like this.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:58 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
You're right, LOL, my spelling needs work.
Jor fly, it's not so much the spelling, but the definition & intent. I see "stripper" versus "Striper" on some of the fishing forums I frequent & they have completely different definitions!

Misuse or misspelling of those two words can get you in a whole world of trouble, particularly if you're married!
fredaevans likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If I must kill a small fish like a trout that has been injured beyond release I whack them as others have mentioned. Large fish like a 14 pound salmon; I found that a knife point plunged directly through the brain, followed by cutting the gills thus bleeding the fish out will kill them as close to instantly as I can get.

Even after a good whack on the head I still cut the gills on a trout too. This will eliminate having a fish come back to life after you thought it was dead.
cochise and noreaster like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-07-2013, 03:53 PM

dewbar is on a distinguished road

for small fish like trout just push their lower lip up towards their back it will break their neck and they will die instantly. For bigger fish bring a knife and stick it through their head. Wacking with a stick can somtimes take a few extra wacks so i stopped doing that.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:01 PM

flyguy97 is on a distinguished road

You can cut the piece of the fish that is under its head where the gill plates come down and almost meet. The fish will bleed out very quickly.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:05 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

If they do not willingly talk I water-board all trout as to extract information as to the were-a-bouts of other trout cells. If they still do not talk I put a blow hardily but quickly on the head to render them senseless.

At home they are beheaded regardless of their social affiliations.

Thank God I'm Catholic and not some infidel.

No seriously, I wack them on the noodle and that does it.

Mike
JoJer, rangerrich99 and yonder like this.