The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 06:19 PM

phiag is on a distinguished road
Default New Guy

Hi! I have been trolling the forums for awhile now and thought I would finally introduce myself. My name is Alex, I have been fly fishing for about 3 months and am completely hooked. I have spin fished my entire life and since I started fly fishing haven't even thought about picking up my spinning rod. I live in North East Ohio, right in the middle of Steelhead Ally and I some how managed to hook a couple before the season ended. I have been focusing on Smallmouth since, honing my skills before they all get tested this fall. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:16 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: New Guy

1,500 miles to the west, give or take, but if you've got Mr. Iron Head in your neighborhood you're LIV IN LARGE.

Fred
Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: New Guy

welcome to the forum phiag!!

ARFE
Old 06-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Alex: Welcome to the forum and the sport of fly fishing. Sounds like you have some good opportunities to fly fish. I don't get to fish for smallies much, but when I do I always have a blast! Steelies aren't bad either!

Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum!

That's usually how the transition starts, once you pick it up it's the method you stick with. It was at least for me anyway

Honing your skills on smallmouth or other willing fish is a great way to get ready for next Steelhead season. Stick with it and fire away with questions. We've got a really helpful and great group of members here. Glad to have you with us.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 AM

phiag is on a distinguished road

Thanks fellas. I've already learned a lot.

Fred, our steelies don't get as big as yours do. The two I mustered up this spring were 2 and 5 pounds, on the fly that is. I have caught one or two close to 14 before on spinning gear.

Mcnerney, I have been having a blast for smallmouth although the rain has been doing a great job of keeping the rivers all muddied.

---------- Post added at 04:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM ----------

Jaybo, I really love the fishing around here. The only thing I wish we had was trout that lived in the rivers all year, but I could just get my PA license and fish your streams.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:17 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Alex from Australia A Big
I hope you like it here as it's The Best with all The Friendly & Helpful people to confer with.
Brian
Old 06-08-2013, 01:00 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! Enjoy your smallmouth fishing, that's fun stuff. Don't forget to bring some dries on the water especially if you're fishing in the evening. It's fun to catch them on the surface. Oh, if you're getting too much rain why don't you send it our way, perhaps late July or early August would be nice.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:12 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum......I am another smallmouth fan, especially on topwater!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 06-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

phiag....lots of experienced, friendly and helpful people here.