The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Planted Fish... Really!

I do not understand why someone would go through all the trouble to learn what wild fish eat, how to read water, invest obscene amounts on fly tying material, buy expensive rods, reels, etc. Then go fish for planted trout that can be caught with a pellet "fly".

I just don't get it. Even in my club they regularly schedule outing to places filled with stocked trout. It makes me just shake my head in amazement. I haven't invested all the time and money on equipment and learning this sport to catch fish raised in a freaking concrete fish tank.

I can understand for those with limited mobility due to age and/or disability as access is often too difficult where the wild things are. Otherwise I just don't understand.

Please enlighten me.
diamond rush likes this.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 06-07-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Planted Fish... Really!

Hi Tom,

I figure there is no way to reason what you describe. The beauty of fishing in America is that we have so many hidden gems running full of wild trout and many are on State or federal lands open to exploration. I was born to an area with wild trout and always gravitated to the search for more venues. Once found I guarded my knowledge like State secrets and was thankful that those who followed the stocking schedules would perhaps never discover my little hiding spots.

I fished some places for many years where I would walk 3/4 of a mile in order to hide my vehicle up a defunct logging trail so that no one would ever think that there were trout in that creek. I got away with that for years and had some of my most memorable experiences in such places.

Don't complain about this, embrace the concept and pursue your own sport. It's kinda what the original signature line on my posts means.

Ard
mcnerney, FlyBum, jaybo41 and 4 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-07-2013, 11:46 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post

I just don't get it. invested all the time and money on equipment and learning this sport to catch fish raised in a freaking concrete fish tank.
Fly,

I don't see it that way at all! I spend "way too much" on my fly fishing, and I'm so glad they stock almost every stream here in PA. I catch a few wild trout, but I also like to catch the abundant stocked ones.

I have to agree with Hardy on this one!

I love to go fly fishing for trout in a half dozen local streams ....... and I only wish they put more trout in the creeks?

My fave big lake is stocked with crappie and walleye and largemouth every few months. Those fish were also raised in a concrete tank? ..... but as soon as they get into the lake, they start chasing minnows and bugs (my woolybuggers) LOL

Millions for fishing licenses, so why not put some money on fish we love to catch?
Old 06-08-2013, 12:23 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I had a long response, but I deleted it.

Here is my simple answer to why someone would fish for stocked fish.

At least in my case, it's to get a quick fly fishing fix.

Dennis
Old 06-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

After reading Dennis, I've had a second thought.

I've caught stockers on that old Orvis Far & Fine with the Featherweight reel back in the day when they were state of the art. It was good, it was more about the casting and presentation of the dry fly than about the fish. I simply unhooked them and hoped that I had schooled them so that the following year they would be big holdover trout.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-08-2013, 01:22 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'd add that in some places it could be the only real option for trout. Personally I'd go for bass or the like but some people want trout and don't have other options.

For those that do, they might just want an easy catch and good picture. In some ways it doesn't seem that than someone who is clueless as the guide ties on a fly and points to where to cast without any interest in what fly and why etc. It doesn't hurt me in anyway but that is not how I want to fish.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:17 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

It is how I got started. However, after I learned of the native brookies I quickly became infatuated with them. Here, our natives are rarely over 6" which just doesn't cut it for most people. In fact, those people think I am the crazy one for spending so much on lightweight gear to catch 6" fish! With that said, I fly fish for everything from 6" native trout to striped bass and tuna and every other fish that we have in my area.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:51 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

In many locations it's a question of catching stocked fish or catching no fish.

Last Wednesday I started out going to stocked water to see what the stocking was like in a particular part of my state (NH). Just before I started fishing I saw a very small, very steep stream coming down a mountain. I decided to fish it for a while. It was loaded with small native brook trout. Those are always fun on an ultralight rod.

Then I went back to the original plan and fished the stocked water. Still, I was catching native trout for a while. Then a mixture of native and stocked. Then all stocked.

At that point I started 'educating fish'. Altogether, I caught and released about 50. Maybe, as Ard says, those hooked and released trout will be more wary now and will be more difficult for the next guy to catch. That's my theory anyway.

And catching loads of fish, stocked or not, is a lot of fun.
mcnerney, fly_guy12955 and yonder like this.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:02 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I moved from an area loaded with fertile spring creeks and wise trout. Being that this was in the U.S.A., I never thought to look down my nose at any non-native brown or rainbow trout I caught. Being species at one time stocked they proved to become well adapted to life in the U.S. and regenerated and grew.
Living now in the south if I wanted only native, non-stocked trout-like fish I would have to limit my fishing to high elevation brook trout (even though they are really char)
We have tail-waters down here with clean, cold, buggy waters that breeds some mighty fine brown trout. Again though, at one time they were mere stockers. Try to catch one of these wise, old brutes with sloppy fishing, fat leaders or pellet flies and you will go home fishless for the day.
It's all relative. If you live in an area that has natives to fish for than by all means do so. Many folks simply don't have the waters that can support a year-round population of trout and so do what they have to do.
As for using fancy gear for stockers that too is all relative. It could be that the user has high hopes of one day fishing some world class streams or simply wants to spend the cash on something he enjoys. It's really not our worry, to each their own. The more people we have trout fishing by any means the more people we have available to protect the resource.

Sorry for being so wordy and maybe a bit off point. She served me a new brew of coffee that seems to have worked!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

The ONE fish I will always remember is a trout that would impress no one - a little 10" wild brown. It took more than I knew and more than I had to catch it, and over the four hours of trying, I learned a lot about tackle, flies and myself.

I have come to the conclusion that for me, fly fishing is a challenge of myself to apply what I know, what I have learned and what skills I have against problems I have in front of me. Sometimes I catch fish and learn something. Sometimes I catch fish and learn nothing. Sometimes I don't catch fish and learn something. Sometimes I don't catch fish and learn nothing.

I think for some people "fly fishing' is a social scene which is all about the biggest stream at the urination fest, or they are too lazy to go find the ball in the field.

Went to get glasses the other day. Baffled the young woman who was helping me. I wasn't looking into a mirror as she handed me frames to try on. She eventually asked "You care more about what you can see than what the frames look like?"

I responded with, "I fly fish. I will find the glasses that give me the best field of view for that and then pick the least ugliest frames for those glasses."

"Oh, isn't that a lot like golf?"

"Not really. The ball just sits there. The hole just sits there. The fairway is stationary. A river is in constant motion and trout often make less sense than women and move all over the place when ever they want."

Overstocking a big puddle with a ludicrous amount of hungry trout is golf for people too lazy to find their balls.
FlyBum likes this.