The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 07:41 AM

joefly is on a distinguished road
Default Central Virginia fishers

I was wondering if there's anyone who is from central virginia on the forum? That might know of a nice area to try out fly fishing.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:10 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Central Virginia fishers

I'm hour west of Roanoke, but I go down to Potts Creek in Craig County. Wonderful trout fishing there. I think the Roanoke River is good from what I hear but have never fished it. Sorry, but toward that area Potts Creek is all I know about. I'm more familiar with the western streams.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:26 AM

Ok. I will look up Potts creek. Might have to plan a trip out there. I'm really looking for someone who might have some info on the lower James or chickahominy rivers. I'm kinda new to fly fishing so I'm looking for somewhere close to get my feet wet in the sport. Thanks for the info. Definitely going to check it out.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:47 AM

gutterpunk will become famous soon enough

Here are a couple of resources. Not sure of anything super close to you but I'm sure there's something. Actually, I was thinking about trout, but there are bass on the James--not sure if guys fly fish them but I'm sure you could. Best move is to find a shop and ask around (can be intimidating sometimes, I know.)

Virginia Fly Fishing | TotalFlyFishing.com

Stocking schedule could give you an idea:
Trout Stocking Schedule

And, I love this map. Click on the zone and it shows you wild and stocked river segments. But, for your purposes, nothing really east of the Blue Ridge.

Area Maps - Trout Fishing Guide

Finally, here's a pretty cool interactive map of the James that shows some fishing.
James River Interactive Map | JRA
Old 06-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the links
Old 06-09-2013, 01:39 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefly View Post
I was wondering if there's anyone who is from central virginia on the forum? That might know of a nice area to try out fly fishing.
Check out Steve Moores site.

CatchGuide Fishing Books |

He's no longer living in VA, but you can still access his web site and still purchase his books via e-book or hard-copy.

Larry
Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 AM

fishinkeebs is on a distinguished road

sent you a pm
Old 06-12-2013, 10:05 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45fisher View Post
Check out Steve Moores site.

CatchGuide Fishing Books |

He's no longer living in VA, but you can still access his web site and still purchase his books via e-book or hard-copy.

Larry
I'm a bit wary of his site. I followed a couple of his hikes when I was first starting out in the Shenandoah National Park and was completely blanked. It wasn't until I started fishing the places he didn't recommend that I started consistently catching fish.

It could be that posting something on the internet makes people overfish it, like I did at first. It could be that he kept the best spots secret and never posted them. Or, more likely, the streams change so much year-to-year that you have to be constantly 'prospecting' to consistently catch fish.

Probably a little bit of all three.