The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 03:58 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: rod selection for first time salmon/steelhead fishing

I also use an 8wt. I have a 9'9" G.Loomis Crosscurrant that's great for that. Keep at it, you will love it.

Craig
Old 06-18-2013, 05:42 PM

ryu1er is on a distinguished road

a bit of a side question,but anyway... so the person that invited me salmon fishing said i should get a shooting head for my set up. i asked what a shooting head was but he said "how the heck should i know? i dont fly fish. i just heard people talking about it at work" -____- what is a shooting head? i understand its a type of fly line, but is it confined to spey/switch rods, or can i get it for a single handed rod, or should i even get it at all?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:06 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu1er View Post
a bit of a side question,but anyway... so the person that invited me salmon fishing said i should get a shooting head for my set up. i asked what a shooting head was but he said "how the heck should i know? i dont fly fish. i just heard people talking about it at work" -____- what is a shooting head? i understand its a type of fly line, but is it confined to spey/switch rods, or can i get it for a single handed rod, or should i even get it at all?
I'll assume this is a 'real question' just for Jollies.

First, don't confuse 1hander lines with those for a 2hander rod. Totally different game plan. With 1handers it's the first 30 feet (grain weight) that 'count' under AFTMA. 2hander lines are where ever someone wants them to be over what ever length. Yes there are loose rules, but damned few really pay that much attention.

So for a 1hander line the "Mass in the Ass" is in the first 30 feet, and what comes after is 'ignored' even if its adding weight. Think a double taper line for more Jollies. With 2hander lines they're just a delivery system for the fly that your fishing. Well, same could be said for a 1hander line.

Line choice is based upon what you want on the end of your leader. Big, medium or small and 'presentation' of that bit of "fluff."

fae
Old 06-19-2013, 07:59 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I use a 9wt for Atlantics but that is only because it is what I was given (sold for 50$ cause the guy was switching from Orvis to st Croix) with a WF floating line. It is a fine setup but wish it was an 8 wt. I occasionally pull out the 7 wt glass rod and see if I can't hook into something. The Orvis Clearwater rod is a dandy of a rod to start with and can be bought at an inexpensive price. For flies streamers in size 8-12 or bombers in 6-8.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover