The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 04:17 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dydimo spread not due to felt soled boots?

Interesting read Silver, thanks for posting this. It would be an interesting experiment to conduct, likely with little to lose at this point in those didymo choked streams.

Now that I've made the transition to rubber soled boots years back, I am used to them and don't foresee going back to felt. I needed new boots at the time and the invasive species topic was a hot one. I thought I was doing the right thing and playing a small part but then figured out that whatever I was transporting in my boots was likely in my waders as well. I do like fishing rubber soles in the winter, much better than walking around in Munster boots for me anyway.

What I also find interesting is the double standard of felt ban for general public vs. state/federal agencies. I can't say that I'm surprised though. I've often thought about boaters and others who use the waters recreationally and their role in the spread. Hopefully this study is on to something that can be used to help combat or control it.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:23 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
This was from one of silvercreek's posts (not trying to pick on him by any means).

It does raise some questions, though, of why and how those blooms are taking place now.

Presumably, if the low phosphorus has been a constant for many years in New Zealand, why are we suddenly start seeing blooms there now?

Also, if you look to North America in its earliest days when there was little use of fertilizer, then didymo, all else being equal, would have been present, then declined as fertilizers came into use. Anyone know anything about the historical record?
"The native distribution of D. geminata is the cool temperate regions of the Northern Hemisphere, including the rivers of northern forests and alpine regions of Europe, Asia and parts of North America. Until its recent discovery in New Zealand, where it was introduced, it was never previously found in the Southern Hemisphere. The distribution of didymo in the last two decades appears to be gradually expanding outside its native range. Even within its native range, there have been reports of excessive growths in areas where it previously existed only in low concentrations."

I think without question dydimo spread to NZ, probably on the equipment of fishermen. So my supposition is that the blooms there are the result of recent contamination.

North America is a totally different. Dydimo is a "native species" and has been here for many decades and presumably been spread during that time. My guess is that the use of chemical fertilizers was well established before the major spread of dydimo and/or the limnology of the bulk of the rivers in NA differs from NZ.

The question is not whether dydimo can be spread by wading boot felt, laces, fabric boot facing, neoprene, wader fabric, and flies, etc. I think it can. The question is whether the banning of felt to prevent spread is an effective strategy when dydimo has had decades to spread to every fresh water system that can support it.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

[quote=fredaevans;563430]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Fred,

Were they New Zealand Mud Snails?

Honestly don't know the answer to that question, but do remember one reference to them as 'Zebra Snails.' Shells in the one printed picture was a no brainier to see the stripes. No idea if that's of any help.

Fred
I think they were Zebra Mussels.

They attach to boats and motors, hence the inspection that found them

Click the image to open in full size.

They are a bad invasive. We have them in the Great Lakes and utilities spend million of dollar to clear clogged water intake pipes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_mussel

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Dydimo spread not due to felt soled boots?

BINGO SILVER!

That's them.

Fred
Old 06-11-2013, 08:55 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Different type of invasive specie but here in Oregon (this is our third-fourth year now?) if you intend to bring in a boat for fresh water fishing you MUST have it inspected. You don't, you get pulled over and can't produce the receipt you're facing one hell of a ticket.

Big truck weigh station (I-5) at the north end of Ashland. First year they found FIFTY FOUR boats with live snails on them coming in from California.
They do random inspections in Idaho and Montana as well for Zebra Mussels

You'll see stations setup by entry points or rivers/lakes, for mandatory inspections
Old 06-14-2013, 12:22 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

In Idaho we also have to buy a sticker (for my canoe) the sale of which purports to support the study and control of invasive species.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM

willki is on a distinguished road

Zebra mussles are brutal little buggers. I often read about them and thought they sounded bad - out there. Never thought of them as an issue here.

Then in the last few years, we have found them to exist in the lake my in laws have a cabin on in MN (Gull Lake). within a few short years, it went from: "hey, wow, a zebra mussle" to "dont go in the lake without water shoes or you will get seriously cut"

Shortly before this happened, a few waters in my home state of MA had them discovered. Thus, one of the "best" destinations for fishing, the quabbin reservoir, started very serious decontamination protocols. You have to have your boat/traler cleaned with high temperature washing and then a special seal is placed between the boat and trailer. if the seal is broken, you can not launch and have to get the boat/trailer washed again before you can launch on the reservoir.

I first I felt bad for the guys who wanted to launch and now had to pay to have their craft specially washed before any trip to Quabbin. After experiencing what's going on at Gull... I'm all for it.

Those things are crazy fast at prolifferating and just take over EVERYTHING!
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:30 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

Well guys, I actually tired my felt soles that came with my corkers the other day. I didn't slip or have a close call one single time. The stream I went to is a clean one, but all the same, I'll probably give my soles a quick dunk in some weak bleach solution just to be sure.