The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ben664

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Fly fishing in Spain: On the footsepts of Hemingway

Here in France, we have an horrible spring: lot of water, very bad weather, and of course, flooded rivers....

But, yesturday was THE day.

I live in France, but only 45 min drive from Spanich border, and, very good streams for browns, like the famous Rio Irati, one of the Ernest Hemingway's favorite river.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e_Irati-fr.png

Click the image to open in full size.

The morning was slow, and I mostly fish with nymph.

Until 2:00 pm, when the fisrt BWO arrives, and, for sure, the trout

# 14 BWO was the key. I' ve landed 3 good size fish around 20-21 inch.

A good day for 2013, one of the best for me this year.....until my next trip on the Salmon River !!

homemade video :
yonder likes this.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly fishing in Spain: On the footsepts of Hemingway

Congrats on the great looking Brown trout and scenery of Spain, thanks for sharing!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:52 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Thanks Larry !

For sure, if someone come in Europe, don't forget your fly rod, we have a lot of good rivers here
Old 06-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben664 View Post
Thanks Larry !

For sure, if someone come in Europe, don't forget your fly rod, we have a lot of good rivers here
I agree, beautiful scenery and just as beautiful rivers. I'm planning on visiting JP in southern France, just don't know when.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:57 AM

Really ??

I live about 5h drive from JP !! Don't forget to come here ! good food, wine, and of course good fishing. In a regular year, april/may/june are the best months. Let me know when you think coming, and we'll fish one day or 2 !
Old 06-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben664 View Post
Really ??

I live about 5h drive from JP !! Don't forget to come here ! good food, wine, and of course good fishing. In a regular year, april/may/june are the best months. Let me know when you think coming, and we'll fish one day or 2 !
Thanks for the warm invite, I will try to get a day of fishing with you if possible.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 AM

South Holston will become famous soon enough

Those brown trout do not have the color ours do. I wonder why.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Holston View Post
Those brown trout do not have the color ours do. I wonder why.
Very good question, now I 'll tell you:

I'm living near the Atlantic Ocean (30 min from Biarritz), and 99% of the streams have a atlantic genetic trouts, but, if you look on the map here http://www.imr.no/genimpact/filarkiv...uyomard.pdf/en

and the firts map of my post (web link), the Rio Irati go to the Mediteranean sea (from Rio Ebro). In my area, only the Rio Iraty have Mediteranean strain trout.

Here a picture of Atlantic strain

This picture is from Gave Oloron, a french river, 50/70 km from Rio Irati, but trouts are very differents

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

In Europe, we have a lot of differents trout strain. For exemple, here a trout from the west of Spain

My firend with a trout from Salamanca... look at the colours on this guy !

in 18th century, I think the brown trout in the US (NZ, South africa and Patagonia), where stocked from Atlantic strain.... but I'm not sure. From England ?? I thought US were not stocked with Mediteranean strain