The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By runningfish
  • 2 Post By caseywise
  • 1 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 1 Post By kylebass91
  • 1 Post By kevin2
  • 1 Post By turbineblade
  • 1 Post By ditz
  • 1 Post By dabluz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 09:26 PM

flyboy1 is on a distinguished road
Default Rod/Reel Setup Help

I'm sure this isn't the first thread like this...but I'm looking for some help/advice. I'm a college student on a budget. I"ve just been hooked onto fly fishing. I bought a pretty cheap setup earlier this year to try it out, but am looking for something nicer. I would like to throw #6 streamers all the way to #20 dry flies. I've got my heart pretty set on a Hardy Ultralite DD reel. Ideally I would use this for small browns and steelhead. Can I get by with a 7wt, or is that to heavy for a #20 dry fly. Also what rods would you recommend. Would like to keep it under $250 if possible. If I had to buckle down for two rods, would a 4wt and a 7wt be my best options. Again, just looking for steelhead and trout.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:27 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Rod/Reel Setup Help

If you don't mind Chinese or Korean made ones, you can check the Orvis Clearwater or the Redington rods. I only have the Redington Predator 6wt so I can't comment on the rest of the line up. But I tried and owned several Orvis rods from the clearwater to the Helios. The Orvis Clearwater rods are very nice and well made except for the cork handle.
flyboy1 likes this.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:43 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

take a look at the allen ats series
very nice rods/reels for the price.
mcnerney and flyboy1 like this.

ARFE
Old 06-12-2013, 12:13 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1 View Post
I'm sure this isn't the first thread like this...but I'm looking for some help/advice. I'm a college student on a budget. I've just been hooked onto fly fishing. I bought a pretty cheap setup earlier this year to try it out, but am looking for something nicer. I would like to throw #6 streamers all the way to #20 dry flies. I've got my heart pretty set on a Hardy Ultralite DD reel. Ideally I would use this for small browns and steelhead. Can I get by with a 7wt, or is that to heavy for a #20 dry fly. Also what rods would you recommend. Would like to keep it under $250 if possible. If I had to buckle down for two rods, would a 4wt and a 7wt be my best options. Again, just looking for steelhead and trout.
I think that a seven weight might be a bit much. The heaviest line weight category that you could use for that fly size range would be a six weight. If you are confident in your fish fighting skills, you could use a five weight.

My advice is to cast a few rods at the local fly shop.

Short list of price pointed rods:
TFO BVK
Redington Torrent
Echo Edge
Orvis Clearwater

Dennis
flyboy1 likes this.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:29 AM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about

I'd go with a faster 5 weight, it may not be the BEST small dry rod but you will get a lot of versatility out of it. I can second for the orvis Clearwater and another one I love is the Cabela's L-TECH which is on clearance right now for $150 you can spend.

Just saw you could do two rods so I'd get a mid flex 4 for the smaller trout and a 10ft 7wt tip flex for nymphing for the Steel.

Remember this is all coming from a guy who hasn't fished since last October though so my info my be bad, this sand is getting to my brain O.o
flyboy1 likes this.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:07 AM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road

5wt & 8wt

TFO

cabelas has some nice rods as well...TQR in the 5wt
flyboy1 likes this.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:31 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
I think that a seven weight might be a bit much. The heaviest line weight category that you could use for that fly size range would be a six weight. If you are confident in your fish fighting skills, you could use a five weight.
A 7 weight line will throw all of those fly sizes, including the small ones more easily than a 5 weight...everything else being equal.

The question is whether a 7 weight rod will bend/flex enough to protect some of the super-light tippet you'd probably use (6-8x size) on #20 flies.

If you are blue collar like me and just fish maxima 4-pound mono (4x dia) for your trout purposes, you can probably get away with a 7 weight without issue. My 8-weight will actually protect 4 pound, but not much less.

A 5 weight will work great too -- especially if you're after trout and mostly trout.
flyboy1 likes this.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I have personally found a 5wt to be very versitile and functional. I use that size flies on my 5 as well as some weighted with beadchain and small lead barbells. I would suggest a 5 or 6wt and you could cast some smaller to medium bass bugs as well. I consider a 7 or 8wt to be heavy and you will find yourself back casting smaller fish that you happen to catch. No fun in that. I would personally rather see you under size your tackle than oversize it. I find it more pleasant to fish lighter gear for many reasons. It is far less taxing physically as well. I fish for enjoyment not exercise.
flyboy1 likes this.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:35 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

A 5 wt to throw size 6 streamers....you will struggle if there is any wind.

I would recommend a 7 wt rod and yes, a 7 wt fast action rod casts dry flies all the way down to size 28 on 3/4 lb tippet. The leader will be long.....at least 8 to 9 feet long but when fishing with tiny flies, I prefer a very long leader anyway because the trout are close to the surface and are easily spooked. My 3/4 lb tippets are found on leaders that are 10 to 16 feet long. I often fish with size 22 to 18 dry flies.

I guess some people do have problems when striking the fish but with tiny flies, you don't have to strike the fish. The tiny hooks are always super sharp and the trout hook themselves. It's just a question of raising the tip of the rod when a trout takes the fly.

If you don't fish size 6 streamers, you can use a lighter rod weight.

I've seen too many of my buddies who are not fly casting experts end up hating their 5 weight rods while I catch most of the fish with my 7 weight rod.

Sure, a good fly caster can cast larger streamers with a light rod but there are not that many good fly casters. I've been fly fishing for 40 years and I am not a great fly caster. I don't have the budget for top quality equipment and I fish with other types of equipment just as often as fly fishing equipment. I can't empty my fly reel when casting but I sure can sneak up on large brook trout sipping on tiny flies during August when everyone else has given up fly fishing for the season.
turbineblade likes this.