The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By theboz
  • 1 Post By Poke 'Em

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default When is a compliment really a compliment?

Got nice out finally this evening so took a walk down to the lake. Bass and Bluegills were cooperating nicely and was just a terrific night to be on the water!
Noticed an older couple taking a stroll around the lake taking pictures and enjoying nature. As they approached I stopped casting as a courtesy so they could pass without the worry of a fly earring!As they came by the man motioned to me and said" You are a fine caster, so smooth! Wow that was nice so I asked him are you a fly guy, do you fish? His answer "No never fished but I know good casting when I see it!"
So I replied Thank you very much trying not to look to bewildered as they went on their way.
I think tomorrow when I go to the bank I am going to tell the manager what a terrific philanthropist he is!
stenacron likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 AM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: When is a compliment really a compliment?

I know a very pleasant human when I see OR hear about one, and it beats some pain in the rear end human any day, any where, any time.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Boz, at least the guy wasn't jumping down your throat about harassing the poor fish! Too many do that!

Take it at face value! The guy gave you a compliment, just except it.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 AM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

I don't play basketball, but I can tell you that Kevin Durant is pretty good.
stenacron likes this.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Last month I was fishing on some private property when I hear the landowner coming down to the river on his ATV.
Oh boy I think, here we go, maybe he won't see me.
He stops the ATV, pops his head around the alders and says to me: "You throw a nice line, you must have been at this for a while"
(it probably did look nice with the bamboo rod)
No mention of why I was there. No negative vibes.
It's good to be a fly fishermen.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I was in a family retreat at St. Regis Resort in Monarch Beach, CA last December and for the first time fly fishing the surf and it was a total mess and sucked big time.

As I waited for the resort's shuttle to pick me up, a life guard came to me and said "Wow, that is pretty cool fly fishing in the surf". Now is that a really a compliment?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:22 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

There are actually still people who say and do nice things just for the sake of doing it.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

many years ago I had the wife drop me off at a bridge over a local stream. I did not have permission to fish that stretch and the land owner actually owns the bottom of the streams so I was legally trespassing. I had only been in the water for a few minutes and the owner comes down on his tractor and I am expecting a good chewing out or maybe worse. ....He tells me he normally does not allow fishing cause he got sick of cleaning up all the garbage they left on his river bank. He continues to say that he never had any problems with real fishermen and wished me luck and went back to the house. I took that as a compliment and I never forgot that man.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:35 PM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

Many years ago, I learned how to fly fish by reading a book...no internet yet.
After I got the hang of it, I taught my buddy.
We were at a seminar together and there was a guy helping people with their casting. I did my casts and he was very helpful in explaining what I was doing wrong and how to correct. Then my buddy steps up and casts. The guy has a look of real amazement on his face and says "You do the exact same mistakes that the guy before you did"! My buddy says, well that guy taught me everything I know. The guy starts laughing and says, well either he is a great teacher or you are a great student! I never seen anything like this!

We talk about this event and "Compliment to us" every once in a while and always get a good laugh.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:19 PM

willki is on a distinguished road

Some people are just good folks. Once I had a guy say to me while I was walking down onto a Maine beach to fly fish the surf: "There is a real fisherman - fly fishing in the ocean, wow!" I said thanks and got to fishing... had he stuck around, he'd have seen a grown man repeatedly swamped by the atlantic while attempting to double haul... It may not have looked so good then