The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Totally none fishing related, but I need some advice.

New neiborhood, I've been here a tad over three years so one of the 'original ones, and we have a building boom going on. That bits for context as I 'run' the neighborhood watch program at the ripe old age of 71.

New home sold to next door and I think these two folks are past my age and watched them unload a bit of 'stuff' out of the trunk of their car. No furniture in the house that I know of ... and little gets by my observation.

She's frail, he can barely walk by the looked of same. Sleeping on the floor? Gather they were living in a motor home, maybe back to same but they've been there for several hours, doing what in an empty house?

The question is how deep do I get my nose in this other than being the 'friendly neighbor?'

Seriously, I'm at '6'is and 7's' on this one. I need your help on this one.

Fred
Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Totally none fishing related, but I need some advice.

I would go over when they are out side and introduce yourself. Maybe they will tell you there situation. Depending on what they are like I'd maybe offer help or even (if funds allowed) buy them some cheap essentials. Like a bed and maybe a kitchen table.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Could they simply be waiting for the movers to show up with their furniture? Why not go knock on the door? "Hi, I'm your next door neighbor. Just thought I'd say hello, see if there was anything you needed or maybe offer you some help getting settled."

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:09 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Agreed....introduce yourself....maybe leave a your number with them. Let'em know your the neighborhood sheriff. Its always nice to know your neighbors have your back.

Most importantly, find out if they fly fish....

Jim
Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by half fast View Post

Could they simply be waiting for the movers to show up with their furniture?
Ah, good call... Strong possibility. When we relocated to Utah, we arrived two full days before our stuff arrived. Fortunately we had great realtors that hooked us up with air mattresses and a stocked mini-fridge. Otherwise, we were basically "squatters."

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Ah, good call... Strong possibility. When we relocated to Utah, we arrived two full days before our stuff arrived. Fortunately we had great realtors that hooked us up with air mattresses and a stocked mini-fridge. Otherwise, we were basically "squatters."
+1 We did that two moves ago. Had an air mattress and all the appliances and got the internet hooked up so my wife and I sat on the floor watching movies on netflix while our 6 month old slept in the pack and play. The movers were delayed and showed up a few days later.

Might be nice to say hello to the new neighbors. It was fun for us in our 30's but might not be as fun for them. Also, if something odd is going on you might pick-up on it chatting with them.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Fred,

I agree with the opinions that came before me on this one. There's nothing that cuts deeper than to feel alone in a new neighborhood, and you taking the first step to welcome them and offer your ready assist will help take away that initial sting. Just my ever humble opinion, mind you...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:55 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to see if I COULD POST!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-13-2013, 01:58 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

All excellent advise. Go over and break the ice. Tell them about yourself and attempt to get to know them. Assuming they are open to your salutations and introductions, let them know you're right next door and that you'd be glad to help them get acclimated with the neighborhood and offer what support you are willing. Assuming of course that you're willing to offer that up. My guess is that you are or you'd not be inquiring.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:03 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
All excellent advise. Go over and break the ice. Tell them about yourself and attempt to get to know them. Assuming they are open to your salutations and introductions, let them know you're right next door and that you'd be glad to help them get acclimated with the neighborhood and offer what support you are willing. Assuming of course that you're willing to offer that up. My guess is that you are or you'd not be inquiring.
100 percent in agreement! Sometimes people who need the most help wont ask and they need a little nudge from the right person!
fredaevans likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser