The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 10:17 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: New Vest or Wait till the old one literally disintegrates?

It'll age quickly if you use it often Your "one who must be obeyed" did a nice thing.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:03 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Your "one who must be obeyed" did a nice thing.
Yep! She usually does.

I just transfered my gear from my old vest to the new one tonight (and have 2/3 of the pockets still empty). I momentarily considered tossing the old vest, looking at it empty and stained, with a zipper that doesn't work now, a bit frayed on the edges. Kind of like me.

Then I thought about all the time fishing with it, going back to the mid '70s. I remembered wearing it while I fished with my dad at our weekend lake place, and I remembered wearing it while canoeing with a close friend and tossing streamers in gin-clear Florida spring water. I remembered the Christmas my folks gave me that old vest. I remembered coming home from college, grabbing the vest and my fly rod, and spending a few days off by myself fishing, trying to clear my head of Georgia Tech and electromagnetics and thermodynamics and student loans.

I picked it up, put it on a clothes hanger, and placed it back in the den closet where I keep all my outdoor stuff.

This summer I'll start loading up the new vest with new memories.
baseman1 likes this.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:03 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: New Vest or Wait till the old one literally disintegrates?

"Dollars to Donuts" you'll have that old vest out and back on in well less than a year.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:07 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Sacralige I say......The penalty is 50 lashes with and old 2wt DT floating line.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:46 AM

justin1 is on a distinguished road

I have a sort of love / hate thing going on with vests. I've been using the same vest for about 4 years and I still dont know if I like it. Its an area in fly fishing where I have never found peace
Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 AM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Well, I think the best solution would be a caddy to carry along all the flies and other gear, as well as 3 or 4 rods rigged and ready to go. But until I can afford that, I guess I'll make do with a vest.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:41 AM

stormcrow is on a distinguished road

After my wife bought me a fishpond brand vest i never touched my old one ever again. The newer vests breath better, hold more gear and are so much better designed than the old style i used for so many years.

I am a big fan of fishpond stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD