The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shug11

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 01:09 PM

shug11 is on a distinguished road
Default Share your Great Stories while Fishing

So I wanted to share this story because it was such an unbelievable thing that happened to me that I still remember it till this day. My buddy, who thought me how to Fly Fish, and I decided to take a trip down to the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee. We were specifically fishing for Brook trout, and although we were both skunked the entire trip, it was still a very good time that only got better 2 weeks after the trip ended.

The first part of the story is that while walking to the stream, we come across 2 guys that were also fishing. We stopped to chat, asked how the fishing was, and they both warned us that a few yards downstream, they encountered a bear that was also fishing, so they warned us to be careful. Of course we both got a little scared, but we still kept fishing. We didn't see that bear, and headed back to our campsite to call it a day. As we're sitting at our site, facing the stream.. We look across and see this black bear rummaging around the woods. I love wildlife and this was my first wild bear that I've encountered so as soon as my buddy spotted him and told me, I yelled out "Woah Bear! Awesome!" The bear looks up, looks straight at us, and goes on his way disappearing in the woods. Very cool sight to see.

Now the 2nd part of the story is where it gets very cool. So as we're walking back to the mouth of the river (about a 4-5 mile hike) to get to the boat that can bring us back to the city, I somehow ended up losing one of my hiking boots. Being careless, I simply tied the laces together and hooked them up to my backpack, not thinking twice about it. These were brand new boots. As we get to the mouth, I finally realize that I lost my boot. Not wanting to lose the newly purchased boot, I told my buddy to head to the boat and ask them to hold off until I come back while I try to retrace my steps. Remember this was a 4-5 mile hike, so I dropped all my stuff, and start running (ok maybe jogging or swiftly walking) the trail looking for my lost boot. After about 30 minutes of running, and being completely exhausted, I gave up and said that my boot is now one with nature.

We get on the boat, and I'm kinda disappointed that I lost my new boot. Not to mention totally out of breathe from my 10 mile run I just completed. We drive away from the mountains and head back to Chicago with my boot still in my head. I decided to keep the single boot I had to remind me of my clumsiness and hopefully prevent any future happenings.

Fast forward 2 weeks, I get an odd shaped package in the mail. There's no return address, and honestly, I was scared to open it. I reluctantly open it, and what did I find inside? MY LONG LOST BOOT!!!! With a small note that said "We thought you might need this!" and that was it. No return address, no name, nothing. Just the boot and the bag it was in. I was shocked. How did anyone find my boot, and more importantly, how did anyone know it was mine and how did they know my address?

Then I remembered that on our way back to the boat, we came across a couple that was hiking. We told them about the bears and asked them to be careful. They were very nice and thanked us. I figured that the couple found my boot, went back to the boat/ferry place and got my information. And took time and money from their lives to send me the boot! I was so happy, but also so sad that I couldn't thank them. Till this day, I always remember them and I still have my boots.

Just when you think Humanity is slowly fading, things like this happens and restores your faith. To those hikers that found my boot (hopefully they're on this site!) I thank you! You gave me a story I always share with my friends and family.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:34 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Share your Great Stories while Fishing

Thats quite the story sounds like a heck of a trip.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM

shug11 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Share your Great Stories while Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post
Thats quite the story sounds like a heck of a trip.
Even though we got skunked, the river was low, and there was a campfire ban at the time we were there, I can easily say it was a great trip.