The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lacanadio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about
Default elk creek/ conejos river camping trip ideas?

It looks like I will have a free week in mid-july, so what better way to spend it than trout fishing. my father and i have been wanting to do a trip like this for a while. we plan to fish somewhere in northern new mexico or southern colorado. since it's about a 18-20 hour drive, we would have about 5 days to fish. were looking to keep things cheap and camp.

with this in mind where would you fish? we were exploring the options of fishing either the small streams in the valle vidal in new mexico or the conejos and the outlying small streams. I've seen some big fish caught in elk creek.

so all that being said, could anyone give some ideas on where to fish and lend some advice on good camp sites, good places to fish, flies, fly shops, etc.

thanks,
scott
Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: elk creek/ conejos river camping trip ideas?

Scott: I haven't fished the Conejos River, but it is on the list. I've driven by it and it definitely looks like water I would want to explore. There have been several threads on that river here are a couple that has some info that might be of interest. Also, you might also consider the San Juan River, it can get crowded in the summer but you can beat the crowds by either fishing at first light or at happy hour when everyone else leaves, just be prepared for fishing very small flies, but the rewards are worth the hassle. Also there is a campground right on the river, I think it is called Cottonwood. I usually stay at Abe's as the motel rooms are pretty cheap, nothing fancy but the rooms are clean.

July trip to New Mexico & Colorado

Conejos river colorado ? trip in late june

Larry
Old 06-15-2013, 08:18 AM

mtdave is on a distinguished road

Scott,
There are primative campsites along most of the Conejos and at the Platoro reservoir. I don't know about the flow levels of the river as it is a tail water but you could always fish above the reservoir. Drink plenty of water. The elevation is 10,000 feet plus. There is great fishing in the Chama area as well.
Dave
Old 06-15-2013, 09:27 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

I can't tell you anything about the fishing itself, other than you have to take me with you!

As someone who ran into this last year in a Colorado trip, a back-up plan isn't a bad idea. I had to make a last minute change to another campground a year ago because of forest fires in my original. destination. Pay attention to the news ahead of time.

A call ahead to a local flyshop about conditions a week or so ahead of time proved invaluable in locating a new site, what to anticipate, etc.

Be aware that there may be black bears nearby so be smart about trash and food. Maybe a can of bear spray. Check with the locals about that.

There was a total fire ban when I went out and I had to cook entirely with my camp stove. No fires allowed.

Have a great trip!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:30 PM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice

As of last weekend (we were at Aspen Glade campground) there were no fire restrictions in place. The Rio Grande NF site says as much as well.

But, and this is a big but, it's dry, very dry, in the forest. Be careful! I've had a front-row seat to the fires in NM (Tres Lagunas, Thompson Ridge, Jaroso) and it's amazing how quickly they've grown and a testament to the fuel load. The weather hasn't helped, either, except for the past couple of days.

Good advice to call ahead and be aware of bears.

Thanks,
Bob
mcnerney likes this.