The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 05:35 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Questions about an Orvis Rod

Here's the story:

My first rod was an 8 ft. 6 in. 6 wt. Orvis Rocky Mountain rod and a Madison reel. I learned to cast with this thing and it was my sole rod-and-reel outfit for the first two years of my fly fishing career.

Over the years the rod fell out of the starting line-up (still use the reel quite a bit, just on different rods), but recently I've been thinking I'd like to get it back in service, as it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

Here's my question: over the years I tried a number of lines on this rod, but never found one I thought really made the rod sing. I'm hoping someone out there has some experience with this rod and might be able to help me find a sweet line so I can get this thing back on the water.

Some data for you:

I'll be primarily fishing for trout, on med. size streams and probably from a float tube on still water. I'll most likely fish dries, size 10 and smaller, with the occasional foray into hopper/dropper rigs. In other words, I won't be fishing sinking lines of any type, heavy nymph rigs, indicator rigs, etc. Just simple dry fly/small nymph stuff. I'd like the line to be WF-F, for versatility.

I am not trying to make this my go-to rod again; I have the Imperial for that. but every once in a while I think it'd be nice to put this old rod back in action. My thoughts so far are either Wulff Triangle taper, or Airflo's Sixth Sense. I've never fished either line, so before I pull the trigger on yet another $80 line, I thought I'd ask you guys for your expertise.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark